I had an absence seizure today, I think!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alice123

New
Reaction score
Some basic background on me. I'm undiagnosed and going to the doctor on thursday because the symptoms have got worse. Over a year ago I had a siezure in my sleep that I was aware of but could not control myself. I had no other symptoms apart from those events in my sleep and the fact i woke up sore.

The symptoms started last week. I kept rolling my eyes (I think its worse at night). I had a one off case of pins and needles in one of my feet and may have jerked it.

Saturday night I had what someone called a partial seizure where I was trying to get to sleep and started shaking and tingling for most of the middle of the night. The amount of shaking and symptoms varied in quantity. I had a few flashing lights. jerking of legs and hands on the left side. My slight headache was on the left side mostly. When it got really bad with increased heartbeat and pulse. stiffness of muscles I half expected for me to go into a different seizure but I dont think I did I just could not get to sleep. I thought maybe if i go to sleep I'll have the ones in my sleep, or can they change from simple partial to others whilst i'm awake. Cos I know some happen at certain times in your sleep.

I had the same symptoms last night, I went to bed too early because I didnt know what else to do with myself.

I have had symptoms throughout the day, similar but not nearly as bad, mainly just small tingling every so often. I had a new symptom and could not concentrate and had blured vison every now and then.

I may have had an absence seizure in the first lesson because my friend told me that I had said my name for the register and I dont remember her calling out most, if any of the names or me saying my name. I actually asked thinking I had not said anything.

Does that mean that because I left my seizure so long undiagnosed that its got worse and progressed to none nocturnal events? and its possible that I could have a seizure during the day. How come I didnt get full on symptoms and shivering?

I have absence seizures but my are nothing like yours.

My always start with deja uv, I stop whatever I'm doing (talking) and stare ahead. I know who is around me , what they are saying, and where I'm at, however I can not respond.
I swallow several times, and my hands have lobster clams like movement.

Does that mean that because I left my seizure so long undiagnosed that its got worse and progressed to none nocturnal events? and its possible that I could have a seizure during the day. How come I didnt get full on symptoms and shivering?
Not necessarily -- there is no standard pattern for seizure disorders. Some folks have all different kinds of seizures, some have just one kind. Some progress, some stay the same. the main thing is to write everything down, both for the doctor's benefit and for yours. Hopefully you can identify some triggers, and find ways to avoid them too.

I am finding today (as I've been concentrating on revision) I am experiencing more eye rolling and jerks and blurred vision. Just keeping an eye on things to see if anything weird happens today I think!

It will be interesting to see whether any of these symptoms go away over christmas and if they dont then they are not stress related! I will hopefully go back to the doctor to get some proper advice.

if you anx over it you find yourself having symptons that not there i done it myself...out of curiosity have they done neck xrays cos sometimes neck problems can do random things like this,just a thought,but whatever you do do not fight sleep

My always start with deja uv, I stop whatever I'm doing (talking) and stare ahead. I know who is around me , what they are saying, and where I'm at, however I can not respond.

My absence seizures sound more like yours jyearta,although i don't have any abnormal hand movements,i stutter quite a bit,can't seem to get any words out and totally lose track off the conversation.Sometimes if i go to bed for a few hours i can sleep them off.Whilst other times i have crushing headaches that can never be shifted.

When my seizures were like the way I describe, I would come out of the seizure with a feeling of fear. I think that is why I want to get where other people are.

One thing i have noticed is that an absence seizure can rapidly become a tonic,but then on the next occasion it wont,even though the symtons are exactly the same.That certainly gives me a feeling of dread.But i think that is the thought of going into tonic in a public place,or im on my own.I don't get this feeling if i am in my own house.

Do you think it's the fear of going into tonic on your own that makes you want to seek out people?

I have never been able to understand why I feel that way, I would think I would seek out being all by myself.

I still feel this way, since my seizures have changed. They don't come as often, last as long, not as intense as they were for many years.

Now people I'm. around don't even know I just had a seizure. I am so blessed.

IMO jyearta, and years of experience I have to add, these sound much more like simple partial seizures than absence. What you have described, aside from the lobster movement, are almost identical to mine, and simple partial and grand mal are all I have.
Deja vu, understanding everything around you but having a hard time responding, and swallowing (though that is a symptom of a complex it can happen during a simple as well), are all simple partial symptoms.

IMO jyearta, and years of experience I have to add, these sound much more like simple partial seizures than absence. What you have described, aside from the lobster movement, are almost identical to mine, and simple partial and grand mal are all I have.
Deja vu, understanding everything around you but having a hard time responding, and swallowing (though that is a symptom of a complex it can happen during a simple as well), are all simple partial symptoms.

Thanks, I get so confused.
My 1st. Neur. said it was absence seizures.

I don't want to give wrong information, being that people are just trying to find CORRECT answers /information.

Hi guys, I think its stress related but i'm unsure! Im gonna go back to the doctors and say I've defiantly had seizures in my sleep as well as the panic attacks I have had recently.

The doctor told me what I was describing did not sound like a seizure (she probably got confused with me talking about my panic attacks at the same time.)

Back
Top Bottom