I had a seizure at work today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I had a seizure right in front of my supervisor at work today. I was sitting in a chair and all of a sudden I realized I had just had a seizure. My boss was right there and saw the whole thing happen. She knew I had epilepsy so at least she didn’t freak out. I had only gotten about four hours of sleep last night, but I very rarely have seizures during the day. I went to Starbuck’s before going to work to try and wake up only to end up having a seizure about 4 hours later. I go Starbuck’s ALL the time so I am wondering why I had a seizure this time after drinking something with caffeine and/or not getting enough sleep.

I had a different seizure while driving about six weeks ago that happened about 20 minutes after taking a Benadryl. After reading both online and in a book about antihistamines and seizures I was pretty sure it was the Benadryl that caused me to have that seizure. But after having another seizure today without having taken a Benadryl since last month, I’m not so sure anymore. I used to almost never have seizures during the day but I’ve had 2 during the day in the last six weeks.

Last edited:
Hhhmmmmm.....sorry to hear about your seizure. I hope you're feeling better.
I'm not a Neuro, but I'm gonna take a stab at this one anyway. So here goes:
You may have had a seizure due to the mix of lack of sleep, caffeine and benedryl.
**Now go get some zzzzzzzzzzz's!!!!

Rebecca's first seizure was after a Starbuck's drink.
Okay... research done. 2 out of 2, so it must be true.

You may have had a seizure due to the mix of lack of sleep, caffeine and benedryl.

:agree:

I second that agreement. :agree:

Last edited:
I talked to my Neurologist today and told him what happened. He agreed the seizure probably happened because of the lack of sleep. He didn't ask me to come in and see him or to do any tests. Is it normal to not be asked to see the Dr. given that I was only rarely having seizures during the day for many years and now I've had two seizures in two months?

Last edited:
What is normal? If the doc felt like he needed to see you, he'd ask you to make an appointment. If you feel the need to see him, don't wait for his blessing. Make the appointment. :twocents:

Just remember, that by seeing him nothing is going to necessarily change. You can get an awful lot accomplished by phone. Questions can be answered. Yet you can most likely answer the questions better then he can. What in your life is different? Perhaps over time your bodies seizure threshold is lower? What can you do to raise it back up?

Is a neurologist going to discuss this with you? Well.. ours didn't. Ours talk alot about meds, so if you need that adjusted he would be the one to see.

Looks like you have a few areas to work on, sleep, caffeine and other ingredients.

That'll ought to do it

I would pick up the phone and make
the appointment considering that
you're experiencing seizures and it
IS interfering with your work.

If the office inquires the reason, that's
what you should state, and then go
on to remark that you'd like it if it be
as soon as possible because you'd
rather not put yourself, your work,
and everyone else in jeopardy.

That should get you in.

;)

I'd put this more down the factor that you only had 4 hours sleep.....that would kill me !

I done a New Year's resolution last year to quit the caffeine, as I was suspecting this was causing problems. But, I done that for 4 months, and the only feedback I got from my 'little experiment' was that I just felt MORE tired, and continued having seizures - probably due to the tiredness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that caffeine doesn't play a part in the neuro-stimulation side of E's. But I would say that can also be your friend if you need a pick-me-up. I've also found that any more than 3 a day changes my emotions to a more 'edgy' kinda person.

Anyways, that's just my two-pennyworth

i had a seizure on sunday

I was woken on sunday morning a 7pm iwas just lay there when i was asked to lie down in the ambulance was i found my self inthe hospital. This has been my first fit in 10 years now i have to wait until i get the go ahead before i can drive again. I can only but it down to stress as a result to the fit or seizure.

I was woken on sunday morning a 7pm iwas just lay there when i was asked to lie down in the ambulance was i found my self inthe hospital. This has been my first fit in 10 years now i have to wait until i get the go ahead before i can drive again. I can only but it down to stress as a result to the fit or seizure.

I'm in the same situation. I am 38 and had a driver's license since I was 19. I can't drive now and part of my job involves driving. I know how you feel. Has your Dr. had any ideas of what to do?

Hey Forward,

Man, I know how you feel. My last seizure occurred during work. This especially sucked because part of my job entails driving people to doctor's appointments, recreation, etc. HR told me that because one of my job requirements, as stated in my job description, includes driving people and I could not do this if I had active seizures. I agreed. He also told me that I would be terminated if they could not be accomodated me in my present position or if I could not find a non-driving position within the agency.

First of all, driving is a small part of my job and secondly, anyone of my coworkers could handle the driving required. Anyway, HR basically told me that I would need a letter from my Neuro stating I was OK to drive. Fair enough. But what was unfair was his claim that if I was unable to get the letter, I might be terminated. He told me that they would try to accommodate me , but he could not guarantee anything.

I was torn up about this. My insecurities and self-esteem issues that have plagued me thoughout my life were recharged that day. He continued to harass me via mail. It made me furious.(For days, I had wonderful fantasies of beating this weasel of a man's head in.)

The reason for the seizure was threefold. Firstly, I also was working on 4 hours of sleep, secondly about 5 min. before the event, I had had a conversation with a guy I had not seen in a year or so- a former boss. For some reason this meeting stressed me out and definitely helped trigger the seizure. The third reason is likely the main reason. I had been playing amataur neurologist and lowering my meds on my own (perhaps a mistake.)

I contacted my doctor to see if I could get this letter. I was convinced that three months seizure free was more than enough time to ensure that I would be OK driving. Anyway, when I finally got in touch with my doctor, he said because I had lowered my meds on my own (for some reason he wasn't thrilled by this), he was OK with the three month time frame, that is, as long as I resumed my former dosage of meds. I agreed. He also said that my agency had no legal right to fire me.

I informed the weasel that I would get the letter which would state I could return to driving in three months. He told me I should get it to him within a week. He told me again I might still be terminated even with the letter. (More fantasies of beating the s--t out of the weasel)

Now getting this letter would prove to quite an ordeal. I continued to call and email my doctor but he continued to ignore me. The weasel continued to harrass me during this time. I told him my doctor was not responding to my emails and I would get the letter to him as soon as possible.

I decided to talk to the Epilepsy Foundation about my legal rights. The woman I spoke to said she would call my agency personally if they tried to fire me. She said she knew people at my agency. A few days later, I was called into another meeting with HR and the weasel. Again the threats. I told him about my conversation with the Epilepsy Foundation and to please put the threats for my termination in writing, because I would need the documentation when I sued the Agency. There was a moment of silence, and I could see that the word made him uncomfortable. Eventually, I got the letter from my doctor to HR.

A day or two later the weasel called me and said they would be happy to accomodate me for the three months. I just said OK and hung up the phone. About a week later a got a formal letter from the weasal in HR stating I would be given 3 months accomodation , but could still be terminated if he did not receive the second letter giving me permission to drive. Boy, I thought, this guy is such a (insert Richard's nickname)!

I got the second letter to HR stating I was neurologically stable and able to drive, and that was the end of it. Part of me wishes I could have sued them. After all, the agency I work for is for the developmentally disabled. You would think that they would have some compassion for my situation. What a bunch hypocrits. Anyway, I know how you feel.

Ron

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom