I have a question about numbness...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Ive been seizure free for a week now. It was last saturday that I had the 6 seizures within the half an hour time spand. Since then, during the days Ive been doing fine. But when it comes to nights, I will be laying down, and my hand or foot would go numb, then I would get this "motor running" feeling in my body. This happens at night. Like around midnight, or 2am.

Today I was watching tv in my bedroom and again my foot went numb, and i had the motor feeling through out my whole body.

My next follow up appointment isnt til may 25th with my Neurologist.
Should I be telling this to my dr? I dont know if this is a seizure wanting to come on, or what.

Since having those different seizures during my veeg, and being put on only 1 of the 2 medications I was on before, this numbing feeling along with the other feelings have been coming and going through out the days and nights.

Mom,

There are many things that can cause either the numbness or the motor running feeling. A seizure is one. Your meds is another. Each symptom may be caused by something different, or maybe the same cause is creating both. Other conditions can cause numbness and/or tingling, too, like diabetes.

If not a seizure, what you are experiencing is called neuropathy. Here's info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_neuropathy

Remind me what meds you are on again?

I experience both of those things you describe, but because of a cause that is most probably different from yours. The numbness and tingling is due to one of my medications (Diamox), and the motor running/vibrating/electrical feeling in my body is due to my other condition, IIH (fluid pressure too high in my brain/spine).

You may want to mention how you are feeling to your neuro and see what he says. You could always give his nurse a call. Oh, wait. You aren't a patient yet, right? Sighhhhh.... Caught falling through the cracks again. I'm so sorry you are between docs.

Mom,

There are many things that can cause either the numbness or the motor running feeling. A seizure is one. Your meds is another. Each symptom may be caused by something different, or maybe the same cause is creating both. Other conditions can cause numbness and/or tingling, too, like diabetes.

If not a seizure, what you are experiencing is called neuropathy. Here's info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_neuropathy

Remind me what meds you are on again?

I experience both of those things you describe, but because of a cause that is most probably different from yours. The numbness and tingling is due to one of my medications (Diamox), and the motor running/vibrating/electrical feeling in my body is due to my other condition, IIH (fluid pressure too high in my brain/spine).

You may want to mention how you are feeling to your neuro and see what he says. You could always give his nurse a call. Oh, wait. You aren't a patient yet, right? Sighhhhh.... Caught falling through the cracks again. I'm so sorry you are between docs.

Im on Keppra XR. I take 3000mgs a day (1500mgs twice a day)
Im seeing my neurologist that had the VEEG done. I started seeing him in November 2010. His nurse called me tuesday or wednesday (cant remember what day it was) and was checking in to see how things were going. I told her about the seizures that took place saturday, but other than that, since then the numbness and "motor feeling" through my body has come and gone through out the days and nights.

Endless,
Good information, I printed it out b/c I have those symptoms as well.

Randy

I'm so p*ssed off because my epi told me it was stress. I'd call him a bad name here, but otherwise he's a pretty good doc so I won't.

My headache neuerologist didn't comment much, just said that IIH can do almost anything to a person. Then I checked with another online support group. Ping - ping - ping- ping! Lots of people had the same thing. They said to start recording it in my headache diary, which I did, and it followed the same pattern as my high pressure days (CSF pressure that is too high in my head). So, for me, the IIH is causing it.

My theory is that for whatever reason, some switch is going on in our brains. Mine from CSF pressure, some people from meds, some people from seizures. I'd be very interested to learn exactly where in the brain that "switch" is. It's such an odd symptom, I'm not sure we'll ever know.

P.S. It's very unlikely my cause is anybody else's cause. IIH only affects 1 in every 200,000 people. But if you ever have a lumbar puncture for some reason, make sure they measure the opening pressure when they do it. That's not always a routine part of the procedure. That'll tell if you have a pressure problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom