i really wish it was more predictable

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gr33nr0se

New
Reaction score
two days ago, i had an mri with contrast. my neurologist happened to mention something about protocol and my mom, who is a nurse, insisted on another mri. anyway i did the mri. the next day i was really sore and i thought it was just becasuse i was laying in the same position for so long. today, all of a sudden, i noticed a pain in my tongue. i looked in the mirror and noticed bite marks. i think it must have been numb up until today and i didnt realize it. i started topamax last week and they are increasing my dose once a week for a month. does this mean it isn't working? am i going to need to try a different medication?

you have

to keep in mind that quite often meds don't work right off the bat--they have to build up to a certain level within your body first in order to work AND to maintain that ability to work as well.

give it some time....

An adequate level of the medication needs to be in your system before it stops the seizures. That should happen as your dose is increased.

It also takes a few days after the dose is increased to reach the new level in your blood.

I know it's hard to be patient. But it's important to ramp up on these drugs at the rate your doctor tells you to.

Being patient is tough, but it can definitely take while for the right dosage to be reached, and to get a sense of how well it's working. That said, if you start experiencing a lot of problematic side effects without having seizure control, make a note of it -- it could be a sign that you're overmedicated, or that the med just isn't the right one for you.

Back
Top Bottom