If this gets worse, will they admit me?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I had a failed med change yesterday--they moved me up on Lamictal a week too soon and down on Topamax a little too aggressively, and I had major withdrawals to Topamax (doc on call had me go back up on Topamax and thought the dose down was too steep too fast). Today I'm having an allergic reaction to Lamictal, and doc on call told me to go to urgent care (my docs office is closed on Fridays) and be seen ASAP. I don't want to be taken off if avoidable since it's the only drug that's controlled seizures so far, and doc agreed that we could drop me down to previously tolerated dose of 200 and see how that goes, with instructions of coming back in today or at any time if it gets worse. If it gets worse today and I have to go back to Urgent Care, what happens then? WIll I have to be admitted? Or will they just put me on a high dose of some antihistamine? Definitely not feeling so hot, though I can't say that it's really worse than this morning.

lindsayschu2

If this gets worse they might have to and it could be for the better, it sounds like the two meds are getting it hard to agree for you. You need to watch this carefully for yourself and see how you are going but if for any reason you are unsure or just do not know then do not wait for a doctor to admit you, go to the hospital yourself. It is safer to be where there is medical treatment available 24/7. The thing is and you are like a lot of us some medications just do not go well together for us, whether its our body's or the medications themselves, but you never take chances where you are concerned. Now you may not need to be admited since you are going back to the levels that agreeded with you but you still need to be carefull their is only one you.

Everything was working fine together until we raised Lamictal and dropped Topamax a week ahead of schedule. I wish I had stayed at the previous level but if wishes were horses. . .this feels like having the flu!

lindsayschu2

Do not or rather try not to stress yourself out about this, ok its medication to me its drugs, and I have been in the same situation a couple of times and only you know how you feel and when coming down of drugs it has to be paced and you will usually have a pretty good idea how it should go before it all starts so when its suggested to reduce and your talking times, put in your say they may not listen but you will be happier for it.

Its not much fun going through this and that is why you need to get your speak in because its YOU who is going to be doing this. Try to relax a little and have a cup of coffey (easy to say) but try. You will come out ok out of all this its just going to be harder and longer but your up for the fight.

Lindsay,
Why did they change you in the first place? Were you having difficulties? IT IS SCARY to change meds. Hope you have someone with you to help.
Take care,
M

They were changing things around because the old med wasn't working for me anymore, then I wasn't tolerating a new one added well, so a third was added, back down to two, etc etc. (roller coaster of meds). No I was alone yesterday and I wasn't sure what to do after the Urgent Care--my fever was creeping up and the hives getting a little worse, but I was still breathing OK, and I was trying to make the judgement call of when was the right time to go back in. They said to come back in if it got much worse, but 'much' is kind of loose. But it levelled off, started to get better, and this morning I am better still. And I get to stay on Lamictal as long as the lower dose still doesn't cause problems. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom