If You Have To Have E Somewhere.....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well, Hawaii varies a great deal from island to island and even on an island as tiny as Molokai there are multiple very different climate zones.
Part of it is very damp and jungly and part is very dry and hot. I feel fortunate to live up in the mountain area which is considerably cooler.
Some areas are really windy, others very still.
So, depending on where a person was, they could have very different experiences.

Personally , I would not want to live in Honolulu. It is too crowded for me with traffic congestion to rival any big mainland city.

I like my little rural island.

Sometimes you get hurricanes, don't you?

My mother and father lived in Honolulu. Maybe that's why she didn't like it there.

Like with any other state it's location, location, location.

Yes, there are occasional hurricanes. Molokai is tucked right in the middle of the chain of islands making it somewhat sheltered from the worst of the storms. The island that generally gets hammered is Kauai.

Honolulu is all about the tourists (and how to separate them from their money). It reminds me a lot of the city where I grew up, San Diego. Same good points and bad.

AlohaBird, I use to have a friend (who had lived in CA) who used cannibus while he was doing chemotherapy, and he said it helped a lot.

Minnesota just started selling weed July 1. They had a total of 41 people sign up by that time. The state decided to own and operate it, for regulatory purposes ($$$), and it must be prescribed by an approved physician for an approved sickness.

I do not know how many different kinds of plants they grow, but I am somewhat interested in it since I have uncontrollable seizures. (I had four or five today at the doctor's office.) I am only interested in very mild strains, and am concerned about its effects because my physiology is so hypersensitive.

It is my understanding the parents of children with E were the strongest supporters of getting medical marijuana approved here. A number of them visited Colorado to obtain some.

They only sell cannibus here in capsule form, which I think is a good idea.

On a different note, are you by any chance near an active volcano, or have you visited an active volcano? Can you smell the sulfur?

I am in cali now, but honestly I prefer the south east, but people in the south east tend to have little experience with seizures, or have never seen one before. I have the benefit in the south east, I live less than 7 minutes 2 and from the hospital walking. and if it is serious enough to call an ambulance one can be there in 11 minutes.

Hi Michael,

The medical mj laws here in Hawaii have just gotten more liberal. Yet another good reason to live here if you have e. They have just approved having dispensaries and they should have the logistics of that worked out within a year. They have also transferred the oversight of the whole medical MJ process (cards, etc.) from the drug enforcement department to the Department of Heath which I think is indicative of a positive attitude shift.

I am trying to do a little gardening in the meantime but i am not an expert at this. I got some seeds which are very similar to the low THC/high CBD stuff they grow in Colorado for medicinal purposes. Now if they would just sprout, darnit!

I'm looking forward to dispensaries that carry not just weed but also edibles since I don't much like smoke of any kind.

The only active volcanos in Hawaii are on the Big Island. Maui is to the south west of Molokai and the Big Island is on the other side of that so it is quite a ways away so no, we don't get what they call "the vog" or the volcano smog. The wind that hits here is almost always from the north east, those nice clean trade winds.

I am in cali now, but honestly I prefer the south east, but people in the south east tend to have little experience with seizures, or have never seen one before. I have the benefit in the south east, I live less than 7 minutes 2 and from the hospital walking. and if it is serious enough to call an ambulance one can be there in 11 minutes.
One of the nice things they offer here is an airlift helicopter ambulance service. It's something like 30 buck a year but they can have you to the roof of the hospital in Honolulu in 20 minutes. I was in a car wreck once in San Diego and it took way longer than that to get to the hospital just because of all the traffic on the freeways.

Other cool thing is that two doors up the hill from me is a doctor and next door down the hill is an EMT. I also know one of the air ambulance guys. If anything happens to me they would know my medical history. They all know my dog and what his job is. There are some benefits to living in a small community where everybody knows everybody.

Last edited:
I live in CA. Marijuania is legal here in this state. However, It is not Federal Law yet. Therefore states who have legalized it can crack down on users as breaking the law. Federal Law is the law that is used.

I hope your nice trade winds keep your Hurricane away. It just made the news today.

I would LOVE to retire with my husband to AlohaBird's area, sigh. It sounds perfect! Especially with my love for swimming in real water as opposed to chlorinated pools.

Think I will re-read the OP before I go to sleep and take that picture to dream on! :)

So far the hurricane doesn't have a name. The locals don't bother worrying until it gets named. It is a little windy where I live right now since I'm on the north side of the island where the storm is going to pass. The surfers are having fun with the higher than normal waves though.

Ocean water is really very good for your body. It is the best electrolyte balancer in the world. You absorb all those wonderful mineral through your skin.

I think they said that it has to be going 65 mph before they give it a name. It's been years since the islands got a hit.

Yep, the surfers love the waves!! Keep track with us about what happens. I hope it misses you or doesn't get a name.

Guess what, we have snow on our mountains!! The weatherman had to look at it twice to make sure it was snow. It doesn't snow in the mountains until after September. I am trying to get Darling Husband to put a new roof on the house.

There was one that came through this time last year. I came here last year for the month of June as a tourist. I loved it so much I went back to California, sold my house and moved.

While I was back in San Diego packing boxes in July a hurricane came through Hawaii. On that one, the big island took the brunt of it and Molokai just got some rain and wind.

We actually can use all the rain we can get right now. It's very lush and green where I live but the west end of Molokai is having a drought. It looks like southern California.

Where are you in California? Up north?

I live by the Sierra Mountains. It's a small town. It has made big news with the drought, though. A lot of wells have run dry. The city is trying to hook up everyone to the city water.

We cannot afford to move. Before we moved here, we did live up north.

I'll stick to living in the with my seizure disorder, I'm in Georgia.
It seems most of the people I've met who freak have been from other states that weren't very bright.

Sending you love, Ruth! The drought is worrisome, indeed! Our lawn is going brown, and I wrestle daily with the question "water roses or let them die?" The woman who owned this house before us planted 30 rose bushes around the property, and every summer I haven't felt right watering them, my tendency is to want to xeriscape, but I hate killing a plant, too.

But don't you love our weather this week? I hope you get blessed up there with a few showers (sans lightning)!

AlohaBird, I remember living in Michigan as a child. We were close to Lake Michigan, eastern side, and when the waves came in big it was so fun to body surf :) I'd still do it if the waves weren't too big or dangerous!

I wish I could send my old friends in California some of the rain we got last night. It was really coming down.

Our little tropical depression finally got strong enough to get a name. She is Ela and the next few days are going to be a bit windy and wet on the north shores of the island chain but nothing that serious. She should go on by us by Saturday.

The biggest hazard where I live is things like tree branches coming down on roads or power lines.

AlohaBird -
We're having issues with branches dropping too - but because it's so dry!

What is strange, though, is that it's only July, and when I walk up the street, it seems autumnal with so many leaves on the street. The trees are just dropping what they can't keep without water.

One of our elms dropped a huge branch in the middle of our yard, thank God! So we had the tree guys out to give us an estimate, and our two big elms need to come down because they are rotting. One is threatening the house, but the other will drop branches on the ground, I think. Thankfully neither is our major house shade!

Hope you have a good book to read or something to do while Ela is doing her thing outside!

C0urt, you have been appointed to the lighthouse. No need for you to step into the water, and you will be helping by letting us know if you see any fins approaching while we body surf :D

We stocked up on groceries yesterday so I don't need to go anywhere for a while.

We have crossword puzzles, sudoku puzzles, groceries, dogfood, and solar powered lamps if need be. All the essentials covered.

So far it's just some gray skies with little bursts of rain and wind. Then it calms down for a while, long enough to let the dog out for self-walkies.

Isn't it true that the better prepared you are for the hurricane (tornado, snowstorm, "fill in the blank"), the more likely it won't hit badly? :)

Back
Top Bottom