if you were diagnosed later in life

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
how long did it take you to accept epilepsy and be able to attribute aspects of your personality to it.
sometimes I'm not sure anymore what is me and what is epilepsy

it's all apart of you- our conditions are apart of us. As we get older we can sometimes expect ill health to come with it. I had a heart attack in 2008 -I was 47, I am still coming to terms with that. I now have a right artery blockage so I'm expecting to have a 'stent' inserted soon- this will mean I'll have two stents inserted. stent: wire tubing inserted through the groin then opened (like a balloon) to open the closed or blocked artery.

Nick
:)

It's been almost 13 years since diagnosis. I've been fortunate enough to have my seizures controlled for the last few years, so that's made epilepsy easier to accept. That and CWE.

At different times the meds have affected my personality, but I don't think the seizures ever have.

I still haven't accepted or got used to it (diagnosed about 4 years ago, ish) . I don't think that any part of my personality is attributed to epilepsy. It's two completely separate things.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy about 9 years ago now. I think it took my family longer to accept it than it did for me. I usually don't know when I have a seizure and what I do during it but my family does. Since I don't see what's "going on" then it doesn't bother me as much as it does them.

I have very bad memory problems so I can't tell you how long it actually took me. Since I was diagnosed no one wanted me to be alone. They didn't want me to take a shower, go up and down stairs or cook unless there was someone with me. This made me mad more than anything. Even though I'm still having seizures people have eased off and I can do things again.

I've learned that epilepsy is part of my life now. There are things that I just can't do that I used to beable to do, driving is a good example. I've just accepted this and know that this is who I am.

Back
Top Bottom