Im having numbness in my mouth!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
As of today, I had to decrease my Vimpat down to 50mgs twice a day, from 100mgs twice a day. Ive been having alot of mood changes that are not going good! Its got the point where I dont even care about wanting to get up in the mornings and Im breaking down alot during the days.

So, today the PA told me to go back down to 50mgs twice a day for the next week to see if things get better. If not, then I will have to come off of it.

But Ive been noticing that my mouth feels numb, and my feet are going numb more often. could this happen just by starting to take the 50mgs this morning, rather than the 100mgs?

The PA is hoping that the 50mgs will hold my seizures, but the numbing and tingling are getting worse.

I keep trying to figure out why I still had the numbing and tingling feelings in my hands and feet even after getting on the Vimpat. But now that Im decreasing my dosage, the numbness is starting to come back even more.

Could this be a start of a seizure?

Numbness and tingling are listed as [rare] side effects of Vimpat, so they could be due to the transitioning up and down on the Vimpat. And numbness and tingling can be seizure symptoms and/or migraine symptoms too. Given the timing it does seem that those are the most likely explanations.

Though this is less likely, those symptoms can be a sign of not enough B12, or magnesium. Do you take any vitamin supplements? These two nutrients actually might help, regardless of the cause, since they are neuroprotective.

Numbness and tingling are listed as [rare] side effects of Vimpat, so they could be due to the transitioning up and down on the Vimpat. And numbness and tingling can be seizure symptoms and/or migraine symptoms too. Given the timing it does seem that those are the most likely explanations.

Though this is less likely, those symptoms can be a sign of not enough B12, or magnesium. Do you take any vitamin supplements? These two nutrients actually might help, regardless of the cause, since they are neuroprotective.

I take a Vitamin B12 in the morning, along with my Keppra XR and Vimpat.
Luckly, since the nurse sent me a months worth of samples of the Vimpat, included in those packets are three weeks of 50mg tablets! I didnt know for sure If I was able to cut the 100mg tables in half?

Vimpat Numbness in Mouth

Glad to see someone else has this! (not glad u have it)... I have numbness in my mouth everytime I take Vimpat... It started at the 100mg per day with me... I am now at 400mg per day. Everytime I went up on my dose it was really strong! It gets better after being on the dosage for about 2-3 weeks - but, has not gone away! My mouth, tongue, and lips are numb about 15 minutes after I take the medicine... feels like I've been to the dentist! It lasts for several hours... It happens every morning and night after I've taken the medicine! My neuro - said she would check it out - but wasn't anything she had heard of... anyone else have this? The Vimpat side effect do mention numbness - but, no specifics... I guess this isn't very common -- because I can't find a lot of info on this! You are the only one!

I was only on Vimpat for like 3 weeks due to the emotional problems I had with it. I got very depressed and just wasnt myself at all. My PA cut my dose in half, hoping it would improve things, but I didnt see any improvement at all. So they took me off Vimpat, and tried Lamictal. Unfortunately with that medications, i had allergic reactions to it, and was off within 2 weeks.

Im now just on Keppra XR at 3000mgs a day and so far so good! :)

I Had numerous seizures over the last year on Limital and Keppra. I was removed from Keppra and placed on Vimpat with Limital. I am glad that I’m now off Keppra and the side effects it caused me and did nothing to stop my seizures The Vimpat held me but my foot begkan twitching at night and my neurologist said that it was probably seizure activity and he increased my dose of Vimpat. Iwas fine for a number of weeks but noticed this twitching happening when I take my dose too late or off schedule. Today I was reading and noticed that my left eye was somewhat unfocused. I was very sleepy and laid down. When I got up my left side felt heavy; my tongue was numb, and the back of my tricept felt sore. Was this some form of seizure activity? I’ve been having trouble reading now for awhile. My left eye somewhat unfocused. Also my left hand has been causing me to have trouble typing. Has anyone else had these problems?

Vimpat numbness side effects

I'm still on Vimpat 400mg day. My tongue still gets numb when I take it, but not as strong, just mild. Doctor still doesn't acknowledge it, so I just deal with it because it really isn't a big deal since the medicine works. I have twitching and muscle jerking too. I never thought about it being the meds, but it is worse if I miss a dose or take it too late. I just assumed it was seizure activity. I have been on it for 2 years now. I deal with twitching - because I don't want to go up on meds anymore. I'm all ready dealing with strong overdose feeling side effects. The side effects were very strong in the beginning. It took almost a year for me to completely adjust. I did have one eye droop. It gets worse when I'm tired- but this never happened before the meds. Doctor still doesn't think it is a side effect of the meds... My vision seemed to change and I thought I was becoming far sighted - but that got better. My vision still gets blurry if I take it too close to my other pill Lamictal. I feel like I am over dosed if I don't take them separate and spread them out. I take 200 mg Vimpat at night with 200mg Lamictal at night. This is fine because I'm going to sleep. I also take a low dose of clonazapan to help with night twitching.. Which could be seizure related- but now I'm wondering if it's the meds. My daytime meds- I take Vimpat 200 mg- but I can't take it in the morning because it is too strong. I have to take it around 5pm for my first round. The doctor said this was ok - and whatever time worked was ok as long as I maintained the levels. It's crazy and really hard to keep up with. I just can't find a good doctor in Dallas. It's hard to find someone who specializes in Epilepsy. Especially partial seizures which is what I have.. Hope this helps.

I sometimes have numbness in my mouth and/or numbness and tingling of my tongue. I am fairly sure it is the Vimpat doing it because I didn't have these sensations before starting it. Either that or some kind of medication interaction is causing it. I feel like I am on too much medication anyway, and the benefit to reducing seizures with the addition of Vimpat has not been that dramatic. I admit it has reduced the intensity of them, but not the frequency and I refuse to increase the daytime dose of it (tried it for about 3 months, and I was a zombie for about 3 hours after every morning dose). At this point I am on the verge of telling my doctor I'd like to start over with the medication - ie. quit adding to what I'm already on, try removing one of the ones I am on and let's really figure what is helping and what isn't. Unfortunately I can't get in to see her until March :(

Last edited:
I want to start over too... It's just that I'm on Lamictal too and it took me so long to dies up slowly on the medicine - almost a year to get stable without side effects. I can only imagine going down in the dose. I'm a zombie for about 3 hours in the morning too if I take the vimpat early in the morning- I had to start taking my morning pill at 5pm. Instead of the morning. That's the earliest I can go in the day without strong zombie drugged side effects. Maybe try taking it later in the day like I did. I tried it slowly, and pushed it back an hour every few days till I got to a point where I felt ok. It's just frustrating! It always feels like I'm on a see saw trying to balance out seizures vs. Side effects!

Back
Top Bottom