Inactivity Can Change the Brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Just read a NY Times article highlighting a recent study (on rats), that looks at how the brain changes when the [rat] body is inactive.

When the scientists looked inside the brains of their rats after the animals had been active or sedentary for about 12 weeks, they found noticeable differences between the two groups in the shape of some of the neurons in that region of the brain.

Using a computerized digitizing program to recreate the inside of the animals’ brains, the scientists established that the neurons in the brains of the running rats were still shaped much as they had been at the start of the study and were functioning normally.

But many of the neurons in the brains of the sedentary rats had sprouted far more new tentacle-like arms known as branches. Branches connect healthy neurons into the nervous system. But these neurons now had more branches than normal neurons would have, making them more sensitive to stimuli and apt to zap scattershot messages into the nervous system.

Makes me wonder how our activity levels might affect our seizure control (if at all). I know some folks are triggered by exercise, but perhaps for some of us with overtstimulated brain, exercise might have a protective or preventative effect.

Interesting. I was just thinking about how active my job was and how lazy I have gotten since I've been sitting more. All the more reason to want to get up and move.

Nakamova

I agree with N Sperlo's I found that I have got lazy since I stayed at home from work. This is very interesting.

Great find Nak! Now I want to go for a run or something. I've been looking for a good outlet for stress, the problem is I find running incredibly boring. I love hiking and mt biking but don't have the time to consistently do both. One thing I did start doing is pushups, pullups, etc. at random times during the day when I could afford a quick minute. That way I get some exercise into my day. It's worked so far, I just need to remember to keep it up.

I don't work but my brain has always been very active.You don't have to work to use your brain and be very active.I use my computer stay active and I write a lot also.

I walk a lot and it has a good effect on me when I'm able to whether permitting.

It's a shame they didn't look into effects outside the cardiovascular system. I did a little digging about the changes sedentary lifestyles have on the sympathetic nervous system and see that it looks after a healthy fight or flight response. Presumably, sedentary lifestyle would, perhaps, make us more anxious, or less likely to respond to danger? Or to respond to danger physically when there is no danger? Anxiety is a seizure trigger.

The other thing I found, which is interesting, is the parasympathetic nervous system is a part of the sympathetic nervous system. That's the part that tells our bodies to keep the right temperature, blood pressure, pupil response to light, basically, all those things that seem involuntary are controlled my that system. The reason that's interesting is that my doctor has told me that my parasympathetic nervous system is malfunctioning because of my epilepsy. If having a sedentary lifestyle makes the parasympathetic nervous system malfunction, we can at least wonder whether whether that might, in some way, relate to seizures too? perhaps? Is my logic on track here?

Ah. Now I see that the sympathetic nervous system also controls epinephrine levels (adrenaline) and glucose. Definitely two problems that would cause seizures in plenty of people. Guess I'll be taking up hoola hooping.

ll I know is I feel much better when I got to the gym regularly.

I don't work but my brain has always been very active.You don't have to work to use your brain and be very active.I use my computer stay active and I write a lot also.

I think the article was suggesting that being physically sedentary makes our brains TOO active in a way that make our brains more vulnerable to overstimulation. But it's hard to know from just the one study how the results actually apply to humans.

Now I've got to go outside for a walk. It's 36 degrees out -- balmy compared to recent temps...

Oh yeah...the saber tooth tiger isnt chasing us anymore! My job requires me to move around. I also workout, including crossfit. After having E for most of my 56 years, exercise is my saving grace. My experiences tell me how to better pace myself, in the face of risking a seizure, i find the benefits out weigh the stress that activity might put on my body. In my darkest days, being active is my friend.

Back
Top Bottom