Insuranceless adult needing help with EEG results- Just really need positive words :(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tylervr6

New
Reaction score
First off, I lost insurance privelages when I had to drop out of school, and I am returning in September. My EEG, CT scan, MRI all came back normal however my Sleep Deprived EEG has came back with I guess not the best. I cant really afford another Neuro visit being unemployed from my Chron's/Collitis disease. If anyone has an imput on my results please let me know, it has stuck my anxiety through the roof as from what I understand I have another life long permanent condition :(.

"This is a 20 channel digital EEG, with FT9, FT10, and 1 channel for EKG obtained according to the International 10-20 system.

ELECTROENCEPHALOGRAM FINDINGS: Drowsiness and wakefulness were obtained during this recording. During maxamil wakefulness the posterior background consisted of symmetrical, regular, reactive 10HZ alpa rhythm. No frank epileptiform discharges were note, however, intermittent, infrequent delt range slowing was noted in the left frontotemporal region. There was no evidence of seizure activity. Drowsiness was characterized bt mild background attenuation, with symmetric vertex waves.

CLINICAL INTEROERRETATION: This is an abnormal EEG due to the presence of functional versus structural abnormality in the left hemisphere, mainly the frontotemporal region. Absence of epileptiform discharges does not rule-out a seizure disorder. Clinical correlation is advised."

I cannot afford another neurologist visit, they said to stay on Keppra 500mg twice daily and in 3 years to re-assess you and if it has degressed and moved on. Has anyone else had a condition like this and had it go away? My Mom has a co-worker who has, and just wanted some positive input....Mainly confused how I could go 22 years without a sign of them, then take SSRI/SNRI meds and end up with a condition like this. Any help and words will be so appreciated!!!!

-Tyler

Hi Tyler --

Welcome! Lots of support and information here.
Here's some info to start with (apologies if it seems like a lot -- feel free to ask questions).

Regarding your EEG: Anything "symmetric" is good. There's nothing that definitely indicates epilepsy. The reference to the delta waves is not diagnostic of a specific condition -- it might indicate a post-seizure state, or a migraine, or some underlying issue in the brain structure, etc. Unfortunately, a single EEG (or even multiple ones) won't necessarily reveal anything conclusive about what's going on in your brain. There are folks on this site who have had epilepsy for many years, but never have it show up on an EEG. And there are folks who have abnormal EEGs and never have seizures.

Regarding a cause: Some anti-depressants can cause seizures if you go on or off them too quickly, so it's possible that may have happened in your case. Or there may have been an underlying imbalance in your neurotransmitters that your depression made worse. There might even be a link to your colitis. It's very difficult to discover the cause of seizures -- over 50% of epilepsy cases are of unknown cause. In my case, it might have come from a head injury when I was 5 -- but I didn't have my first seizure until 30 years later!

Regarding what happens next: If you can tolerate your meds, and they prevent your seizures, then it's a good idea to stay on them for a few years to prevent the brain from getting into the habit of seizing. In a few years, then you can try going off the meds and seeing what happens. NOTE: It's VERY important to have a doctor supervise both going on and off the drugs.

If you can't tolerate the Keppra, or it doesn't seem to be working, there are other drugs out there to try. Pay close attention to how you are feeling and functioning. Treating epilepsy is often a balance between preventing seizures and negotiating side effects of the meds.

Best,
Nakamova

Very likely that your intestinal issues are creating seizures. Have you found any proactive ways to improve this?

Wow thanks for the replies!

For my Ulcerative Collitis I take an organic chocolate/acai berry food and it helps a ton, however the Keppra works but flares up my stomach at times since being on the med. Aslo, anyone with Tonic-Clonic Seizures taking meds for anxiety/depression that do not flair up their seizures? Thanks in advance :)

Robin- I have done some research, and I am not sure what to think nor what to say in regards, I just find it weird how I have had Ulcerative Collitis since 2004, and nothing seizure like until I had began taking the Lexapro at first, and then the Effexor XR.

I did however make mistakes, I was supposed to take have a 1/2 tablet at the first 2 weeks of taking the Lexapro, in ignorance I took it in full tablet form and did not cut in half throughout taking it for the month I was on it- leading up to the first seizures. Also, I was supposed to do the same with the Effexor starting out at 75mg, then a few weeks after work up to 150mg. I like took it in full form bypassing the two week step-up my doctor gave me, and went right to 150mg's. Just wanted to note this as I have not followed direct lines, and when I had the last 2 seizures(being on Lexapro 150mg and half of my Keppra dose cut in half to doctor's oders) they were not sure the exact cause, possible Keppra doseage being taken down, who knows. Just not sure what to think still. Meh, just not sure to believe and hope that in a few years I overcome my seizures :/

-Tyler

Have the doctors once talked about changeing your nutritional choices? Is the Lexapro suppose to heal the intestinal issues or just make it liveable?

I suggest you take a look at www.dogtorj.com
He had intestinal problems himself, and is a vet. He found ways to eliminate seizures in the animals he treats through making changes in his dietary choices.

Lexapro was given to me as an anti-anxiety/depression medication, not for my Collitis. Collitis is not cureable, well short of having your large intestinal area removed, mainly dealing with it is getting it into a remission state and keeping it out of a flair aka symptoms arrising. I will definitely look into his site, and I do think it is time I start eating healthier more and going that route, one of the things I am bringing up this Tuesday for my doctor app. with my main primairy care doctor. Thanks for the link, Robin.

-Tyler

Edit- typo

Last edited:
Hey Tyler. Just wanted to say hello and it's nice to see you over here at CWE. I hope you can find the answers you're looking for. There's lots of good advice and knowledge here on CWE so take your time and look around. Also post whenever you need to vent, or want some answers. We're always here to help bud!

Haha thanks man, most definitely cruisin around, and thanks for the link by the way. I can only take so much on the subject as it really brings me down. Damn where's Ron on AIM anymore, no more VW/car talk? Dangit haha.

-Tyler

... Has anyone else had a condition like this and had it go away? ...

Most folks who have no problems (or a lot of experience to share) don't bother participating on forums like this one. The people here are mostly folks like you looking for information or a sense of community amongst people who have walked similar paths.

Re: insurance issues, it's a fairly common problem. Some resources:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/when-you-cant-afford-medication-1452/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Hey Tyler, sorry I haven't been on AIM as of late. I got a new laptop and keep forgetting to run Pidgin when I get on. I'll go start it up right now, perhaps we can chat tonight.

Keep posting here man. And try to educate yourself. I know it's disheartening, but education is paramount when it comes to E.

Robin- I have done some research, and I am not sure what to think nor what to say in regards, I just find it weird how I have had Ulcerative Collitis since 2004, and nothing seizure like until I had began taking the Lexapro at first, and then the Effexor XR.
-Tyler

You might consider the extensive information on gluten sensitivity.
Ulcerative Collitis does not just appear without a CAUSE. Since you also have the symptom of seizure, it seems highly likely they are related.
However, that is just my non-medical opinion.

This disease, which you may never have heard of, affects at least 1 percent of the population or about 1 out of every 100 people. So what is this mysterious disease? It is actually one of the most common autoimmune diseases, and like many such diseases, it is caused by an inherited weakness.
The bad gene responsible doesn’t cause problems unless the person is exposed to a protein, called gluten.

Gluten can be found in certain grains:
• Wheat
• Rye
• Barley
When people with this genetic weakness eat foods containing gluten (and one of its proteins called gliadin), the toxic protein gets trapped under cells lining the gastrointestinal tract. If you could look inside the intestine, you would see that it is lined with a velvety coating. Under a microscope, the lining looks like a mass of delicate fingers (called villi). This is where the toxic protein is trapped. The immune system tries valiantly to remove this
trapped protein. The ensuing immune attack in the wall of the intestine results in a blazing fire of inflammation that smolders for very long periods
of time. Because each meal contains this same protein, the attack can continue for a lifetime. Over time, the villus, the delicate fingers, are severely damaged. These villi are critical for absorbing the nutrients from food, so damaging them can result in severe malnutrition by interfering with absorbing foods (called malabsorption).

You would naturally think that the major symptoms of such a disorder would be related to the GI tract, and you would be right; yet only 1 in 6 people diagnosed actually exhibits these symptoms.
These symptoms would include:
• Intestinal cramping
• Bloating
• Recurrent diarrhea
• Weight loss from impaired nutrient absorption
Most have symptoms completely unrelated to the GI tract, or have no observable symptoms at all. I am most concerned about the patients who show no signs, since celiac can lead to a lifetime of misery — and even death — if it is not diagnosed.

Victims of undiagnosed celiac disease can experience a long list of symptoms. They include the following:
• Sudden loss of hair
• Severe hypothyroidism or even hyperthyroidism (Graves disease)
• Dementia
• Loss of balance (ataxia)
• Seizures
• Recurrent pneumonia or meningitis from a loss of adrenal gland function (Addison’s disease)
• Various deadly cancers

Blaylock Wellness Report
Russell Blaylock, M.D. (neurosurgeon)
May 2009

Robin-

How does one go about seeing if I am affected by Gluten? Definitely going to check into that, worth a shot. Also, my mom has an auto-amune disease, thyroid related I believe, and I carry much of her internals...turns out I ended up with an auto-amune disease too and my form is Ulcerative Colitis :/

Back
Top Bottom