Intersting Find...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
So I just decided to further look up a small fact that I remember hearing somewhere. Its that humans actually have 3 sets of vocal cords, and can learn to use all 3. This gives the illusion that the person singing or speaking has 3 seperate voices.

In Mongolia, in the Republic of Touva, in certain monasteries of Tibet and among the Xhosa people of South Africa, one can hear an amazing vocal technique in which one singer can produce two stable notes at the same time while a third note varies on top. In other words, one person can sing in chords and can also provide a melody. The lowest note is so extremely low it sounds hoarse and raucous, stretching the limits of the human voice.

this is achieved in 2 ways.

1) the person does this conciously and concentrates on each vocal chord and works each process seperately. Often being able to *as said above* be able to produce 2 stable chords and a third note as a melody.

2) the person is in an extreme state of relaxation or tention while forcing air in and out of their lungs and throat.

So taking into consideration the second option. This might be one of the reasons that people way back when *and some still today* believe that we were possesed. During a seizure *tonic clonic* we go through the extreme tension phase. often having a tonic cry. This can produce a shreik and sometimes sounding like 2 or 3 voices screaming.

Also after the seizure is over, most people are limp as a noodle and super relaxed, and usually "snore" or "growl" During this phase it is possible that some people or at some point everyone, has "snored" in 2 or 3 voices.

It might even be possible that during the intial open your eyes and trying to speak, that your vocal cords are still relaxed. *which would make sense if words dont sound like words* but may randomly sound like 2 or 3 voices *switching from lower and higher moans, with a slight over lap*

hmmm....I think I might need to see if I can record my tonic cry or my "snore" phase. and see if this happens. I might need to do a few records to see if its not a usual occurance...

Is this the type of thing you are looking at (Sorry the clip is long (I love this "documentary") but it is a very good watch)

This is awesome stuff!! If it isn't forgive the "intrusion"

Related to the idea of demon possession -- I was thinking about other things that look like demon possession behaviour. Partner gets these wicked massive abdominal spasms (seizures we think) that can lift his body off the bed until only his head and feet are touching. Sometimes they're so strong and quick that he actually looks like he gets airborn for a moment. It looks really weird. They don't happen that severely often, but they definitely take us by surprise when they do.

He also can look ashen with really dark circles under his eyes... maybe I'll pick a crucifix up on the way home ;)

Back
Top Bottom