Iron supplements

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shandy

New
Reaction score
Hi all, best wishes to you.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about taking iron supplements and them causing seizures? I was on them for 4 days before I had 2 tonic clonic fits and my doctor told me not to take them, even though she checked it against the valproate and didn't say there was/could be an interaction between them.

I'm now scared to take them and starting to feel quite unwell now. My iron level in January was 4, I've been retested last week and waiting for the results.

Thank you for any replies x

I take iron daily as I have problems with anemia if I don't. My GP prescribed them and my Neurologist knows I take them and has never said a word as to why I shouldn't.

I get weak without them and don't feel right at all.

Iron supplements can often cause diarrhea or otherwise irritate the gut. If this happened in your case, it might affect how your valproate was being metabolized. Another possibility is that you had a reaction to a filler in the iron supplement.

Just out of curiosity are you taking the iron for a diagnosed deficiency, and if so is the deficiency caused by your meds?

Google any nonmedicinal ingredients in the iron as well as the form of iron (iron sulfate, iron gluconate, etc.). I had an allergic reaction (itching, rash) to iron sulfate, for example, and this "stress" triggered a temporary increase in seizures for me until we were able to figure this out. I was fine with iron gluconate.

Iron supplements can often cause diarrhea or otherwise irritate the gut. If this happened in your case, it might affect how your valproate was being metabolized. Another possibility is that you had a reaction to a filler in the iron supplement.

Just out of curiosity are you taking the iron for a diagnosed deficiency, and if so is the deficiency caused by your meds?

Naka, my dr. told me the exact opposite, that iron can cause constipation and that's what ended up happening in my case. Now I have to take something for it too as I cant stop taking the iron.

Does it ever stop???

yeah -- both diarrhea AND constipation are common side effects from iron supps. Ain't life grand?

Thank you for your replies

Thank you all for your replies.

The iron supplement they put me on was ferrous fumarate, 350mg bd. I have a dx of iron deficiency but have no idea if the valproate could cause this. I've been on SV since I was a teenager and only ever had low iron levels during my first pregnancy, and can't find anything written for interaction or caution.

I have googled the ingredients but can't see anything that stands out.

With my epilepsy I didn't have seizures for over 20 years. Then 16 months ago I got prescribed a sleeping pill which they believe induced non epileptic seizures.?? I had nothing until the iron supplement and they were completely out the blue. I had applied for my licence :(

Tomorrow I finally get to see a neurologist. Last time I saw one was when I was 17 because my epilepsy was never a problem.

Xxx

Then 16 months ago I got prescribed a sleeping pill which they believe induced non epileptic seizures.??
Given your history, it seems odd that the seizure would have been considered non-epileptic. What was the sleeping pill you were prescribed?

I assume you weren't taking any other supplements or meds besides the ferrous fumarate and the valproate. Given the lack of any other obvious trigger, it sounds like some kind of allergic reaction to the ferrous fumarate.

BTW, my HGB count has run subnormal ever since I started on anti-seizure meds 15 years ago. In the absence of noticeable symptoms, my docs haven't prescribed anything, though they said that a B12 was fine to take. I don't take iron supplements. I assume your HGB numbers are much lower, but you might ask your doc if B12 and folic acid might be more useful than iron -- there's at least one case in the literature where long-term use of valproate led to B12 deficiency. Good luck at your appointment, I hope your neuro is helpful.

Thank you Nakamova

I also thought it was odd to say non epileptic seizures. They had given me an EEG and a sleep deprived one. The SD came back abnormal but not epilepti- form sorry hope I've spelt it correct. I ask what that meant but got no answers.

I was on zopiclones for sleeping. My dad had passed suddenly and wasnt sleeping. I took them for 3 weeks without a break and then ran out and went into the seizures 24 hours later.

I have to say when the bloods came back as being low the only symptom I had was heart palpitations. My energy levels were good. Exercising 4 times a week. I will ask about vit B12. I have a lot of questions to ask tomorrow, I hope i at least get some of them answered. Thank you again for helping :)

Just a quick update,

Saw the neurologist today. I have to have a MRI and sleep deprived EEG

Also she put me on lacosamide/vimpat. I have to say I've never heard of this drug before. She didn't want to put the valproate up because of how much I already shake on it. She also said it would help mood.

Fingers crossed :)

Take care all x

I hope Vimpat does the trick for you! I know that other CWE members take it.

Back
Top Bottom