Jason Snelling - Atlanta Falcons rookie running back has epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
This is a nice story about an NFL football player. :clap:

image_5705944.jpg

D. Orlando Ledbetter said:
Falcons rookie running back Jason Snelling is not just battling for a roster spot.

He's taking on a much bigger opponent in his fight to control his epilepsy.

At the University of Virginia, his condition caused him to take a medical redshirt his sophomore season and later miss practices and games. His disease was eventually diagnosed and is now treated by medication.

Those crippling migraine headaches and dizzy spells are under control, and his stamina is just fine.

"I take medicine to help with that situation, to eliminate those issues," Snelling said. "When I'm out [at practice], I'm able to do everything that everyone else is doing."

It wasn't until his senior season that Snelling was able to talk openly about epilepsy. He's hoping a professional career will give him a platform to show that epileptics can lead a normal life.

"Definitely, as a young guy it was tough knowing that you have something that could hinder you," Snelling said. "But it can also be a positive. It teaches you a lot of things about yourself. I'm an example that you can still get through it and succeed at the highest level."

Snelling's inner strength, determination and rugged running style endeared him to his teammates and Virginia fans.

"You have to credit Jason for his resilience and his staying power under his circumstances," Virginia coach Al Groh said. "He really received a lot of support, encouragement and caring from his teammates as he went through those circumstances. He's persevered."

Falcons cornerback Tony Franklin, an undrafted rookie free agent, played with Snelling at Virginia.

"He's a real cool guy, a real hard worker," Franklin said. "For the situations that he's been through, to come out here and play good, you have to root for him."

The record heat that has marked this season's training camp has been a factor for Snelling, but despite one episode, he's been able to carry on.

Rookie finds running room from illness; Seventh-round pick Snelling battles epilepsy, earns start

Yes, this is great news! However, I don't like the word "disease".:tdown: I guess I am just hung up on terminology!

Blessed
25 mg. Zonegran
Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy since 1982

Agreed, the newpaper's editor dropped the ball there. Most people don't understand the difference between a disease and a neurological condition.

Gimme a "C" ---- C

Gimme a "O" ---- O

Gimme a "N" ---- N

Gimme a "D" ---- D

Gimme a "I" ---- I

Gimme a "T" --- T

Gimme a "I" --- I

Gimme a "O" --- O

Gimme a "N" ---- N

What's that spelled?
CONDITION!

:star: :star: :star: :star:

I'm terribly sorry to interrupt this forum thread
with a public announcement that I do not see
on my forum posting the word
"disease" anywhere.

I agree,this is a great story, one the Falcons should be proud of , they have allways been the closest NFL to me, I live in north western South Carolina, another reason to pull for my home team.

Duke

just googled

nfl players with epilepsy, and I came up with a lot of hits.
they include:
Samari Rolle,
Jason Snelling,
Alan Faneca,
Leon Bender (dec'd)
and several others.

Athletes bodies require more nutrients than less physical individuals.
It is possible that asking them to undergo a nutritional plan that supports brain health might prove to the "Powers that Be" that nutrition should be considered.

Just a thought...

nutrition

for bulk and energy, or for brain power. Is it necessarily the same?

Back
Top Bottom