Jerking during sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

htl2010

New
Reaction score
Hi guys, my hubby has epilepsy and has just come out of hospital after having some nasty seizures. They have upped his meds and added another one - he was on Valproate and is now on Phenytoin too. Since he came home he has been displaying some very strange symptoms while sleeping and I don't know if they are related to epilepsy, the drugs he is taking or some other thing.

Basically when he is falling asleep he twitches quite badly - he has always done that - but they seem worse than ever now. But then the other night his right toe was moving on its own every 10 seconds (I timed it!) and every so often his whole leg would twitch quite badly. This would happen probably until he entered his deep sleep phase then stop. He is also complaining of pains in his ankles and legs. Sometimes his hands and mouth twitch a little bit too. It just seems to be a co-incidence that it has started happening since the new med has been added. As an added complication he has sleep apnea so I don't know if it is related to that?

I'm just wondering whether it is worth mentioning to his GP, he is due to see her next week. He also has an appointment with the neuro in May. :ponder:

Yes, it's all worth mentioning to your doc, and keeping track of for the neurologist too. What you describe sounds like myoclonic jerks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

The Valproate and Phenytoin should be helping treat the jerks along with other seizure symptoms, but for a very few people they can make things worse. Keep track of the symptoms to see if they continue, progress, or -- hopefully -- lessen.

It could be seizures, or also could be a sleep disorder. Your doc can sort it all out.

Is his sleep apnea under control? Does he use a cpap?

This isn't a scientific reference, but there are people out there that share the same experience as your husband: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-94765.html

Here are four common causes of sleep twitching: http://insomnia.ygoy.com/2011/04/07/sleep-twitching-causes/

Here's more info on myclonus: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/myoclonus/detail_myoclonus.htm

Since your husband has epilepsy, I'd be most suspicious of seizures. But your husband's neurologist will figure out what's what.

Thanks for the advice guys, looking at the info on the links you provided it would certainly suggest myoclonic jerks, I will pass all my observations onto the docs/neuro and see what they suggest as a solution. : )

Quick update: Hubby has been to docs and she suspects it's the new meds that are causing these extra problems. She is reducing his dose of phenytoin bit by bit just to see if it solves the problem, but she says if it starts his seizures off again, 'they have a plan' I hope they let me in on it lol! Hubby has recently joined the forum so hopefully he will start getting a few posts on here and get to know a few of you. I've told him it's a great place to get information/advice and meet people going or gone through what he's experiencing right now.

Hey there htl2010! I often have these 'jerks' as well and with an increase in Keppra, they seem to be getting slightly worse but will no doubt settle down again, given time.

Good to hear you and your hubby like this forum! You are definitely not alone and the advice here is wonderful. Tell your hubby not to be shy and get posting!

Back
Top Bottom