Jerky movements

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
Another bad side affect from long term use of Dilantin.

I don't know if this has been posted before but here it goes anyway.

I've found out several years ago that I can no longer make smooth movements such as:

When driving, I can no longer move the gas pedal or brake in a nice easy motion, just "jerky" motions like a ratchet wrench.
It results in hard braking or quick starts. It also effects other things such as operating a computer mouse. (no accurate control, just jerks) or doing fine precise work or helping my wife with the clasp on her bracelet or necklace.

Ranman, I find it interesting that we have such different reactions to the same medications. I'm on a higher dose of Dilantin (same dose of phenobarb and no mesasol) and have been for decades. Yet I don't experience the same side-effects. I have always driven a standard-shift car and work at shifting smoothly - not so easy now that I have a metal bar supporting my left ankle & keeping it stiff.

My big problems are with overdosing given the way Dilantin can suddenly increase or decrease in your system (more like a sine curve than a linear geometric increase). When I'm overdosing I start to lose my coordination and sense of balance. And I do believe it adds to depression. Oh, and then there's the lack of memory thing that I keep forgetting about! :roflmao:

Dilantin is controlling my seizures so I'm not willing to change but yes these side-effects are not fun at all no matter which set of effects you experience.

Back
Top Bottom