job / employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I was on the way to the Top!

I was on the way to being a general manager at a Pizza Hut and running my ownstore until I was accused of missing money! And then I also had a severe seizure after the close of business bec ause I was working very late til 3 a.m. which they decided was a risk for the job!
David

In my job I have to be extremely careful as I work in a manufacturing environment, even though I work in the offices I still have to visit the production area, nearly nobody at work knows that I am epileptic so I have to be my own health and safety officer, I make sure I never go near machinery when I am on my own or wander around the yard near forklift trucks.

Even if my employers did know about my E, this would not jeopardise my job, they would just take a few extra precautions and do an assessment of the situation.

The only thing for me is that I worry if they found out they would stop my overtime hours, I often work 15 hours a day for months on end when there is a project on the go, I work in the office block on my own in the early mornings and evenings, but due to the fact that I have absences I do not consider myself in any real danger when just sitting and using a computer.

"Even if my employers did know about my E, this would not jeopardise my job, they would just take a few extra precautions and do an assessment of the situation." Why not? Is it because of equal rights? I mean working in a manufacturing environment is a liability; not only to your company, but to your life.
Also, computer stuff isn't dangerous at all, it's good to feel useful and still be in a safe environment. :)

Last edited:
My career is at jeopardy, I work as an audio engineer/stagehand for live events, the hours are long, it's stressful at times, and I commute an hour back and fourth at times, other times I barely get any sleep traveling from city to city sleeping on a bunk in a tour bus. It's been fun, but I know it aggravates my brain, lack of sleep, caffeine, stress, all that crap adds up, I get more jerks and start getting a lot of deja vu's and sometimes what I believe is an aura. I'm not sure what to do, currently I'm off work from a back injury from work I fell off a stage, I doubt it was seizure related. I go back to work on light duty next week.
I'm not sure how much more I can take. I don't want to switch careers just yet, I cant move without walking away from my house, can't get an apt with my 5 dogs. So I continue on knowing full well I might finally push to hard and break.

Does sugar intake tend to aggravate seizures for you? I know caffeine and stress and lack of sleep aggravate mine. Also, I can't watch horror movies either (more stress). Not so sure about those flashing lights you see at Halloween parties, though I know they can affect seizures in some people.

Back
Top Bottom