Jobs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aggy84

New
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm attempting to be an optimistic lady today... although I've been having cluster partial seizures recently. Never mind.

That in mind but pushed to the side slighty, I am thinking a change in career may be a good option because my current job is quite stressful... events. Stress and tiredness are both my major triggers and tbh I think they are in my job title lol.

But I'm 28 and want to start a family etc and need a stable job... what do people suggest for epilepsy sufferers? I have complex partial seizures which aren't controlled at the moment even though I'm taking tablets.

My background was music industry, arts and all creative things but my current job has almost made me scared to take the leap out of my comfort zone.... and as this job had been with me since I was diagnosed, I'm not sure how other employers will react. My current job try to be helpful but dont understand...especially after a seizure because I'm so drained I just want to sleep, but I do manage to get on regardless.

Any tips or pointers?

xx

You can be a booking agent from home, bands and stuff.
It takes a minute to get it set up, but after you establish a client base, it makes good money.

I used to work for myself (as in not for a Merry Maids type of place) as a house cleaner, and found that to be really a pretty good gig in terms of flexibility and return. Depending on how fast you are able to work, you can earn quite a lot per hour (example, if I did a $60 per cleaning job, and me and my partner got it finished in an hour, $30 bucks an hour each! Score!). It wasn't always that fast of course, especially when you're getting started on a new house, since it takes a few times to get it down to a science. But anyway, yeah. That's pretty good money, and you can more or less schedule yourself that way. Most people didn't care when you did it as long as it was during work hours for them. They would just give you a key, so running a little late was never a problem. And it worked well for days when I wasn't feeling my best and needed to take it slow, because you're not working on someone else's clock.

Of course there's the taxes every year when you work for yourself, so you have to be prepared and organized to pull that off. It's best to hire an accountant, IMO.

The other thing that was cool was that you could take your baby with you when they're little. Just set up the pack and play, get them all set with toys, and start working. Both my MIL and my friend used to do this when they were cleaning with littles.

I'm a SAHM now though.

Back
Top Bottom