Just got out of the hospital

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cez

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had the worst few days :( I have been reducing my Lamotrigine due to sleep issues and adding in Zonisaimide. After taking my 3rd dose on thursday, I went into status Wednesday night and have been in the hospital until this evening (Monday night) I had 3 days non stop seizing. They gave me IV Phenytoin and 40 mg of Clobazam 2 times a day to stop it, I dont think I've ever felt this drugged. I'm sorry to whine on, just needed to vent. I was also wondering has anyone here had a rection like that to any AED's? The neuro's think the Zonisamide caused it? Have any of you had a bad reaction to drugs? Thanks guys x

So sorry Cez, sounds horrible. I know what it's like to feel drugged up on a loading dose of Phenytoin -- my eyes were twitching back and forth, and I lurched when I walked... I didn't have an immediate bad reaction to Zonisamide, but it was problematic for me on other ways.

Do you know if you're you allergic to sulfa drugs? Zonisamide is a sulfonamide, and folks with a hypersensitivity reaction to one member of the sulfa class of meds are likely to have a similar reaction to others.

Thanks Nakamova, I'm not sure but I guess it could be a possiblility. I've never had any other sulfa drugs as far as I'm aware so its difficult to say, but it sure has thrown a spanner in the works! Will bring it up with my neuro in the next few weeks definitely, thanks again :)

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing nakamova asked. I am allergic to sulfa drugs, so I have to stay away from them. I would ask your neuro about it. Hope you start to feeling better soon!

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! You must feel exhausted.
What a terrible reaction. I hope you feel better soon. And it is soooooooo not whining. You've been through a horrible experience. Please! Vent!

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Having to go in and out of seizures is a nightmare, and winding up in the hospital is never easy to deal with. I know i've had a really bad reaction to an anti-depressant, I forgot which one it was. I can't seem to take any anti-depressant without having problems now. I hope you start feeling better quickly.

That is terrible! I am so sorry that you have been going through this. Hopefully it is over soon. I do have to ask though, since I am not familiar with the term, what does "spanner" mean? I assume that it is like our saying " throwing a wrench in the works".

Thanks for the kind words everyone,

Huskymom over this side of the pond we tend to say "spanner" rather than "wrench". I always find it interesting how we speak the same language yet some parts of it are so different!

Also Muay I had a bad reaction to anti-depressants as well, infact that was the last time I ended up in hospital, I took sertraline and my seizures went crazy I think it's mainly SSRI's. I suppose our brains are very fickle. Thanks again :)

As the others have said, I too am sorry you are going through this.

I have this to happen to me when the Dr. have tried new/ different meds. on me.

I can ONLY take Dilantin and Clonazepam.

I hope your Dr. will find the meds. that is right. for you, this could take changing meds. a few times which is no fun.

Same med but I was a was on my own in one of the biggest cities in the states so I just went into my neurologists office after only takin it for 3days non-stop seizures didn't know what status was at that time told him take your pills back give me something else.it was all one big blur and the next month recovery was tough but not nearly like that I'm sorry I got switched to lamictal.

Back
Top Bottom