Just started vimpat

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey there, it's been a busy couple of weeks for me, so i've not been around much. Hope everyone had a fab xmas and new year!

Anyhoo, i started vimpat two weeks ago, my starting dose was 100mg a day. Since the day i started it i've had quite loose stools, and then over the last couple of days my eyes have been very dry and itchy, and a bit gloopy/teary at times.

Unfortunately i've thrown away the information leaflet that came with my meds, so has anyone had these as side effects?

Also, i wasn't sure what dose i was supposed to go upto this week, so i've just gone to 200 a day which i know is the dose i was supposed to end up on.

Happy New Year Loopy!

I have been on vimpat for a while, 200mgs per day. I have not noticed any of your side effects, but as you know, they effect us all differently. Hope things get better soon!

I might have a look now that i have my computer back and see if i can find anything online.

I'll have to keep an eye on things for the next two weeks too to see if these problems get any better. Haven't noticed any difference in partial seizure control yet.

It seems like diarrhoea is on there. Double vision too, but it's more that my eyes are all icky and dry. I dunno, perhaps an eye infection or something.

I noticed something else though... my mum said to me today that i seem to be "lumbering" around when walking lately, heavy footfalls and almost lurching rather than actually walking properly... i just noticed on this list that "gait disturbance" can be a side effect. For a larger lady i'm normally quite lightfooted.

Anyone else experienced this?

Hi Loopy Lou,

I also take Vimpat. The loose stools are from one of the ingredients - magnesium stearate. I am very sensitive to magnesium anything. I'd been on the Vimpat for about a week when I saw my family doctor & mentioned it to her. She said to try to stick it out, that it is a common side effect & that some people develop a tolerance for magnesium stearate after a few weeks. Well, it's been over 2 months & I still have the same problem, severe enough that my rectum bleeds sometimes. I'm at 200mg a day as well. But despite the side effect, I haven't gone off of it because I can't take any other AED. If you have not tried all the AED's, you might talk to your doctor about changing it, being sure to tell him of your sensitivity to magnesium stearate. Another thing to keep in mind - Vimpat does NOT work on all types of seizures. The fact that you are sensitive to the magnesium stearate & having trouble with balance is reason enough to contact your doctor. Let us know what happens.

Hmm. I have to go see the doc next week to get my repeat prescription for my vimpat anyway, so i'll bring it up to him then and see what he says.

I'm not feeling dizzy or getting vertigo or anything like that, it's just that my feet/legs seem to be deciding their pace and direction all by themselves. Not sure if that made sense lol.

Hi Loopy Lou, the problem with your walking is what I meant by having trouble with balance. And yes, it makes sense. Your body isn't doing what your brain is telling it to do. I'm glad you have an appointment coming up soon. Let us know what happens.

Shelia

Hi Loopy,
I've been on Vimpat/Lacosamide (800mg a day) for 6 yrs. I went through the Study.
I know you "can not" take that without eating something or you'll walk like a drunk & have double-vision. Taking it too close to Carbamazepine (space 30 min.) will cause double vision/dizziness for a short time.
I take 400mg in morn. (and 400mg. at bedtime) and 45 min. afterwards I just need a nap (But we're all different).
Luckily, I never suffered w/diarrhea.
I have Complex/Partial seizures & it stopped 13 of those a month & stopped about 10-12 auras a day...I was a mess before. I also don't have the anxiety I used to & can sleep after I "do" have seizures.
If I can help just write. Keep a log & write everything down you experience & when.
I have found out (in me) that I can not take herbal supplements...doesn't mix well with Vimpat!
So check everything w/your Doctor when it concerns Vimpat.
Take care & I hope things get better.
Rosie

Currently i take 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night, along with 3000mg keppra a day.

I'm thinking maybe i ramped up on the vimpat too fast. I have noticed a slight decrease in complex partials, but an increase in muscle spasms, mostly on my right side. Thumped a colleague in the leg the other day by accident :paperbag:

Maybe i'll start having something to eat with my meds then and see if that helps.

Just Started Vimpat

:rose: Hi Loopy,
Oh yea, the tics. Ewe, deffinately tell your Dr. about those!
They did a video EEG of me when I started jerking (I also became "very" photosensitive) & the more they flashed the strobe light the worse the jerks became, ending up in a "bad" seizure.
But mine came from too high of a dose & we had to decrease it to make the jerks go away, or lower my other meds. (Tegretol) to make room. (even it out some)
Be careful, and stay on your Dr.'s case. I was very cared for 'cause I was in a 5 yr. study w/2 visits a mo. & watched/monitored.
Now that it's FDA approved they may relax a bit but call him/her about those jerks. :twocents:
Besides, kicking your buddy isn't good either. LOL
Keep in touch.
Hugs,
Rosie

Back
Top Bottom