Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JaneC

New
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone might be able to answer this for me ahead of my daughter's visit to the epilepsy nurse tomorrow.

I've been reading a bit about juvenile myoclonic epilepsy and was struck by the "holy trinity" of seizures that can come with it. IIRC my daughter has only had one TC in the time she has been lamotrigine but lately has been complaining about absences and possible myoclonic jerks.

I'm wondering if her positive EEG result (six years ago) would have specifically said JME if she had it, or could her diagnosis of "idiopathic generalised epilepsy" possibly encompass JME as well.

Cheers for any help x

Sounds like I could be your daughter!

I don't think EEGs themselves determine the type of epilepsy outside of bilateral frontal, temporal, etc. I'm diagnosed as having generalized idiopathic epilepsy but it almost exclusively presents itself as JME. I've had one TC in my life.

But yeah, I think EEGs are mostly location type, rather than seizure type, but I could be wrong.

Hope she's improving!

Thanks for replying Katie. The E nurse said the EEG results would be the same for both and it sounds likely we're dealing with JME.

Suggested we have a go at upping her lamotrigine, as she's on a low dose.

Do you mind if I ask what meds you take if any, how long you have had E and if it has changed over time?

Thanks and hope you are doing well too x

Of course! I take Keppra XR 500mg once daily. I also take Citalopram 20mg to help with the Keppra side effects (Kepprage). I was not controlled under any other meds I tried. But Keppra works extremely well

The drug of choice to treat JME is Valproic Acid (Depakote), but for myself and many others, it just KILLS your guts... gave me the worst heartburn, orange flavored acid eating... it was painful... I've recently learned Keppra itself is best to treat myoclonic jerks... I would suggest your doctor's choice of anticonvulsant to treat the tonic-clonic's but make sure Keppra is used for the myoclonics...

Oh! I forgot. I started having seizures when I was 10. I had a grand mal at 13. Started medication at 22. I'm nearing 26 now, with no worsening.

I don't have the diagnosis of JME but I do have myoclonics and Lamotrigine happened to make it worse. If I'm not mistaken that is a possible side effect of this drug. If the decision is to increase the dose, it may be a way of determining if the lamotrigine is the reason for the jerks in the first place.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656314/
(Scroll down to Lamotrigine).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine
(Scroll down to "Other types of effects")

Odd that a drug that is known to be used for JME/myclonic seizures can in fact aggravate this type of seizure.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has replied. All good points worth bearing in mind.

Rosie had her first TC five days before her 12th birthday. I only learned the other day that in hindsight she had occasional earlier seizure activity (she recalls teachers asking her if she was "on drugs" :mad:, yes that's you'd expect from a clever. well-behaved 10-year-old).

She's had a few since but the absences and jerks are a more recent development. I asked the E nurse if it was possible lamotrigine was causing them but she claimed this was very rare.

I'd quite like her to stick with the lamotrigine if she can (she'll be going up to 200mg a day) as it seems one of the kinder AEDs but we'll see. Back to see the E nurse in June. Meantime she has exams to negotiate, hoping the previous concentration problems don't re-occur but she already has her university place so we don't have to worry too much about them. :hugs:

I had a neurologist tell me I wasn't having seizures (he never did an EEG) because they "don't sound like seizures." I went undiagnosed for 11 years.

I think you're on the right track. See what the increased dose brings. Lamictal increased my blepharospasms, but it's different for everyone.

Good luck and take care!

Thanks Katie, I'd always tristan individual's instincts over a medical professional lol x

Back
Top Bottom