Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My son has sleep side effects, same as Dignan has said, wakes early, hard time going back to sleep, we give him melatonin at night to ease him into sleep and that helps him alot.

I think we are gonna try to use the melatonin so Kaden has it a little easier falling asleep.... He's not a good sleeper to begin with and the Keppra is definitely making that even worse.....so anything that helps him sleep would be great... thanks....

I'm on Keppra xr as well as Depakote er and had problems sleeping, so my doctor told me to take melatonin prior to bed, and again in the morning (5am) when I wake up to take my regular meds so I will be able to go back to sleep. I take 5mg at night and 5mg again in the morning. I usually get up around 10:30 or 11am daily.

Great - I noticed two spots on Kaden's back...reddish/pealing. His upper lip looked a bit crusty as well. Will see how he looks in the morning.

What am I going to do if its the rash again? Has anyone had this problem? This is his 3rd drug in the past about 2-3 months that he has been on. Taken off the first due to hallucinations, and the 2nd due to the rash (lamotrigine) and now Keppra? Maybe rash with this drug to??!!

What am I going to do if I can't find a med for him that he does not have a serious side effect to?

Ive been on Keppra for years now, since the age of 17, and Im 30 now. I dont recall it causing a rash, but I will do some checking on that. I have had no problems with Keppra. I hope things get better and its not from the Keppra. If it is, Im sure the dr will find a medication that will work for your son.

I just googled it and found this site. It says It can cause a rash. Just like alot of different medications out there.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/keppra-side-effects.html

I would keep an eye on him and see if things get better or worse. If it gets worse, I would be calling his dr to let them know whats up. Hang in there, I know it feels like you're going downhill, but things will get better!

I think maybe benedryl tonight too just to be safe???? But I'm not a doctor, if I see something "rash like" I would definetly do the benedryl.

I think maybe benedryl tonight too just to be safe???? But I'm not a doctor, if I see something "rash like" I would definetly do the benedryl.

My doctor has told me not to take benedryl with my meds because it's a blocker and it would block my medicine from working properly. Not sure if this is correct, but I'm not taking a chance, I'm following her advice.

Definetly do what the dr says. Mine told me sudafed is a no and to pretty much stay away from any OTC drugs. I have read on this forum that benedryl is okay but there is def those that think differently. B6 as well, is really pushed in our community but my doctor said no when I called and asked. I guess reactions to meds scares me, especially with children. A rash is a tell all sign that something is not right. I have so much empathy for you. I have a hard time taking meds. I struggle if it is worth the damage it could be doing. This forum helps because I get the support from those who literally know what I'm experiencing. I also medicate one of my children and I understand how hard it is. How is he doing today? I'm on day 9 with keppra and the last 2 nights I have taken it at night and eliminated the topomax completely. Both nights I have struggled staying asleep and both nights I experienced weird scary dreams. Sucks!!

Keppra xr is what I take, and I have issues staying asleep. My doctor okay'ed me taking Melatonin at night but I can relate to your issues with sleep and the strange dreams. My Doctor also said to never take an over the counter sleep aid such as Benedryl, Tylenol PM, Advil PM, or any cold meds that make you sleepy like nyquil, or things of that nature. I was told only to take the natural Melatonin.

I was told the same but...,if a rash occurs on a child I think she should ask the dr if she should dose him or not? I guess I get scared with little ones. The benedryl will effect the keppra making him volnerable for a seizure but a rash is a strong indicator of a reaction to the drug.

So those dreams? Weird right?? I can fall asleep but I keep waking up. Several times an hour actually. Not even sure how I'm dreaming when I keep waking up. Weird thing though the keppra has fatigued me so much I was hoping I would crash at night, but no! My dreams are scary, about rats and bugs climbing all over me. Does this eventually go away? How long have you been taking keppra? Thx!!

I had a small redness on my face (almost a rash) after I was switched to generic Keppra. But, after moving back to brand name, it has gone away.

Has anyone had periodic times of having difficulty maintaining focus while on Keppra? It used to be worse when I first was taking it, but I still have moments (most noticeable at work when in a meeting with multiple people talking) where I feel slow and unfocused mentally. It's almost dizzying.

I have to bear down and focus in those moments. I never had that feeling when I was on Dilantin, so I wonder if after coming off Dilantin some leftover Dilantin-based damage could be the culprit, or if it is more likely the Keppra.

Thanks all....Been a crazy day here - getting on late. I'm thinking what I saw was not a rash, because it looked better today?

Kaden has tonic clonic absence frontal seizures. Tonite, when he started to fall asleep, he was flinching and clenching his hands etc...Now, some of this is normal when one falls asleep, I know, but tonite? His hands were clenched so tight..In a fist. I had to pry his fingers apart?!...I am such a wreck about this! I hate these nocturnal seizures! If that's what's going on? 15 or so minutes they loosened.

Above said, he is horrified to go to sleep!..I am sure anxiety/excitability is thrown in to that (some med.related). Took me 45 mintues to get him down tonite, and he had been up since 5:25am! He says he hates to sleep :( :( ...

About me - I have horrible nightmares. I am a lucid dreamer as a result. I learned to escape my dreams. I can't stand that he is going through this! He is so little! This is so so hard for an adult! A child? 4yrs? Not fair :( ..I am teaching him tho..Teaching him to know when he is in a dream...Once he masters that, then he can practice controlling them.

ETA: At least 5 more times during the night, Kaden threw his arms back up behind his head and slammed back down to his side..did the same with his legs, but was an up down motion instead. I'm wondering if this happened due to taking him off of the 15mg of topamax the day before yesterday? He was weaned off that once he hit 1ml morn/even a day of the keppra - needs to build up to 2ml morn/even...so, another 2 wks....Anyways, the tonic clonics...I know what to do if not out of it in 5 min..How do I know when a frontal seizure is over if its happening in his sleep?

Last edited:
For those taking Keppra: Do your doctors perform any routine labwork in relation to the fact that you are taking Keppra (bloodwork, levels, anything)?

I have been on Keppra for a year and my doc hasn't dony ANY type of bloodwork related to the Keppra or anything else for that matter at all.

Yes, actually I just had blood work done Friday to check my Keppra levels to insure they are at a therapeutic level. As far as checking my liver etc my doc said I should get that checked every year during my "yearly" with my primary care doctor.

my daughter has been on keppra now just over a week , she is taking 250 mg in the morning and 250 mg at night . This is for the first two weeks . After the two weeks she will take 250 mg in the morning, then 500mg at night . After two weeks 500mg morning and night . Then will start weening her of lamictal . Only side effects on keppra was the feeling of been drunk, but this has worn off . Fingers crossed this will be the one that makes all the difference

Back
Top Bottom