Keppra hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am really not clear as to what you took? Surely sounds like an allergic reaction to me.
What is Nitro Macro? Did the neurologist also tell you about the risk of antihistamines and seizures?

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/provoke_otc

nitro Macro is a generic form of macrodantion.... just got off the phone with my kidney doctor taking me off that and now they want me on septra once a day... its for that bladder infection thats not wanting to go away......

no actually my neuro told me to keep bynadril with me in case of allergic reaction..... I think the risk of an allergic reaction right now from all the meds out weighs the seizures.... I guess im going to have to call the doctor back because i just read that septra can cause seizures along with sjs .... blah....

Im gunna go call and get this straightened out and try to see if my neuro and urologist can kinda get together on these meds... its messing me all up $50 for the nitrofur macro which is going to have to go in the trash because im allergic..... what a waste,,,, my eye is a little puffy too i noticed..... Im kinda annoyed right now...... like two doctors cant work together because of time or what....... ttyl

im fine though just a lil annoyed... and still a lil itchy

Gotcha

You know ... I would go to a really good pharmacist to get a second (or third) opinion.
Take care Angel, you have really been through the wringer

Tea Tree Conditioner ...

Expensive but a little bit goes a looooooong
ways baby!

:tup:

I learned this from a Neurology ARNP Nurse.
AED's wreck a havoc on one's hair, but Tea
Tree Condition from Paul Mitchell works wonders.

Just put a tiny dab smaller than a dime on the
palm of your hand and rub your hands together
after you shampoo; and towel dry and then
massage it all in and let it soak in for at least
10-15 minutes, and she recommended a nice
warm clean wash cloth to rub it in gently and
recommends a hair dryer set on med/low setting
and blow it until it's slightly dry.

Do this every day for one week, then every
2-3 days after that and you will be astonished
that it works.

It works for Men, Women, and Children and will
make your hair baby soft and minimize the hair
loss.

If you're loosing excessive hair; then the meds
are too high for you; you need to have a serious
talk with your Neuro / Epi.

But she DID stress that:

1) Hair loss sometimes is heredity, nothing you
can do about it.

2) Hair loss that was sudden as a result from
the meds is a reaction and needs to be dealt
with.

3) It is normal for people to loose small amounts
of hair every day.

That is what she told me years ago. And she
also informed me that people with thin hair looses
more hair than people with thick hair!

:eek:

(I didn't want to hear that part!)

Last edited:
That is interesting about the problems with manganese, calcium and zinc. I have been having hair loss for years. I asked some of my friends, who have other health problems. They are on medicines as well. They have had extensive hair loss. They told me that all medicines cause it.

I am so glad you started this thread, my short term memory had me forgetting about it. I have been on Keppra for several months, and a few weeks ago, he switched me to Keppra XR...which I love! I only take 3 pills at night (each are 250mg) and my moodiness has really lighten up! But for the past 4 days, when I wash my hair in the morning, I end up with a handful of hair. I did not notice this when I was taking the regular Keppra.
Robin, I did have this problem before when I was pregnant and nursing and for a few months thereafter. But I had complete hysteromey when I was young and haven't been on any horomes for years. I wonder if it would help if I switched from a multi vitamin to the pre natal vitamins.
When I found out I had E, I was scare of the meds because my father had talked about how bad the meds were ( tetratol and the other one I forgot the name). I actually have been pleasantly surprised at how well the medicine is working on my seizures and although there are some side effect, I think I am lucky that none of them are deal breakers for taking Keppra.

Hi jgbmartin

All of our medicines have side effects. When a medicine, like Keppra, works for you then you should not worry about the side effects. Each medicine works on each person differently.

I have irritability and mood swings with Keppra. I am going to have to talk to my neurologist about that. Those are the only issues I have with Keppra.

Never heard of hair loss as a side effect of keppra. Never had any when I was taking that.

I do know that my dilantin is notorius for hair growth. I still have very thick hair, though getting more gray each day.

I did not recall anything about hair loss on the literature. I checked the Keppra web site and not is on there either.
But I found this on Webmd site, for both Keppra and Keppra XR

"Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: hair loss, neck pain, mental/mood changes, vision changes (e.g., double vision)."

Hi jgbmartin

I have to talk to my doctor about my mental/mood changes. I have vision changes from my diabetes type 2. I have had hair loss with all of my medications and have my friends who have different illnesses than epilepsy.

Angel, how long have you been on the keppra and been experiencing the hair loss. I have found some articles that state sometime the hair loss will stop after a few weeks. I didn't have that problem on the regular keppra, so I am hoping the change to keppra xr is causing it and may go away on it's own

Hi jgbmartin,

I was on keppra for i think 6 to 9 months i cant remember, they took me off because of mood swings and I couldnt stay awake I pretty much slept all day. & my kidneys hurt most the time i was on it.
Im on (gen) tegretol now , still my hair is falling out. lol Its long which is nice... I went in to the doctors a month ago and he told me it could be from stress OR the meds hes not sure... I can say though for a fact when I use head and shoulders shampoo every day, didnt smoke and eat right my hair wasnt falling out as much... The doctor I last went to she told me that I was low very low in D vit.
so she has me taking 2000mg a day every day. you might ask about having your blood checked for your vitamin and mineral levels I ask when i go in.. try the head and shoulders shampoo...

hope this helps

New to this forum so I'm just reading this thread. Brain, thank you for the referral to Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Conditioner. I'm still getting the glue from the VEEG out, but my hair needs it anyway since I swim 4-5 days a week.

Nice to know I'm not the only one with hair all over the house!

Anita

Anita,

Don't thank me --- thank her, LOL!
If it wasn't for her, I'd probably still be
getting years of glue out of my hair still!

:roflmao:

I am glad there is something we can do about that glue. Thank you!! Next time, I will use Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Conditioner. The technician that puts that stuff in our hair should tell us how to take it out.

Well it doesn't have to be Paul Mitchell's but any
Tea Tree Oil / Conditioner can do, but make sure
it is the top quality product (not the el cheapos).

But the procedure is the same, little bit goes a long
ways ... and it does wonders for your hair that is
being damaged - not just by meds, but by the sun,
permed, etc ...

:tup:

I called my doctor about the hair loss. He said neither Keppra or the Keppra XR would cause hair loss. However he said sudden unexplained hair loss is often a sign of thyroid problems. So, more blood work next week.
I was looking up signs of thyroid problems, and I do actually have a lot of the signs of underactive thyroid. Then I got to wondering if there was any connections with thyroid and seizures...I googled it and it came up with a post Robin did on there about that. Boy, what a vivcious circle it all is!

Hi jgbmartin

For a long time, doctors have thought I had thyroid problems. I had all of the symptoms of it. The results came back negative.

According to my doctor's, there is a connection between thyroid problems and seizures.
I will try to find the post that Robin did on it.

Hi Brain

Thank you for the tip. I will look for Tea Tree Oil/conditioner. I will get top quality.

I've been losing ALOT of hair as well. I use to have a thick set up hair and now it's so thin,..especially when its wet...and I'm only 30. I'm on Depakote, Kepptra and Lamictal right now. I've tried Rogaine but it hasn't helped much.

From my view of keppera

I've been on it almost all my life & i never noticed any hairloss unless i'm wearing a hat/ballcap . But other than that it's working fine for me --- but it sure makes my hair oily fast . Any ideas on where i could get a shampoo that'll control the oily hair & not overpower my meds but let them work & the shampoo work on the oiliness ? Please help thank you dave from kentucky.
P.s. Heres my medication list
generic of depakote = divalproex dr 500mg 3 tablets 2x daily

generic of keppera = levetiracetam 500mg 3 tablets 3x daily

dilantian 100mg 5 capsules 2 in am 3 in pm

Back
Top Bottom