Keppra & Lamictal and headaches

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does Keppra or Lamictal cause headaches? I recently weaned off of Tegretol, which I started taking before Keppra and Lamictal. So I am now on only Keppra and Lamictal. But ever since I started weaning off the Tegretol I have been getting headaches much more frequently than before. I have always gotten bad headaches at "that" time of the month, and maybe 4 times a year they are actual migraines, but now it's not even that time of the month and I've had a lot of headaches, two of which I would consider migraines. This is only within the past 2 months.
So I was wondering if Keppra or Lamictal causes headaches, but that side effect was suppressed by the Tegretol, or if the Tegretol was just suppressing my headaches in general (I used to get a lot of headaches as a kid), so now that I'm not taking the Tegretol my headaches aren't being suppressed anymore? Anyone have any experience with or insight about this?

Thanks!

I am on Lamotrigine (generic of Lamictal). When I titrated up to 150 mg twice a day I had horrible headaches every day, most of the day. I am at 125 mg twice a day and I don't have those killer headaches any more. I have also been seizure free for two months only four more to go and my neuro will let me drive!

I am on Lamictal, 300mg and I agree that the headaches while titrating up were terrible! They were vey sharp and piercing. Now that my medicine has been the same for a few months, I continue to have headaches but they are more like migraines. They are dull and they feel like a cap is on my head. It all hurts. Sometimes they last for a couple of days, getting stronger and then becoming dull again. I RARELY had headaches prior to taking Lamictal. I feel sure it's the cause. I also developed an eczema type skin problem that flares up sometimes. I was told it shouldn't be caused by the Lamictal but then again, I never had this before. You never know how your body will react to drugs. I hope you feel better soon. Extra Strength Tylenol has helped me at least get through the day when I have headaches as well as drinking just a small amount of a caffeinated beverage.

Sjconner-Good luck getting to drive again! I'm on track for October if all goes well. Won't it be nice to have some independence back? :)

Yes! I feel like I am 14 all over again! My hubby and dad drive me everywhere. My hubby thinks that I should drive and doesn't know what to say to people who ask him why I don't. He says that other people with seizures drive. Montana does have any requirements; my neuro told me I couldn't until I was seizure free for 6 months.

I know what you mean about feeling like a kid! My husband is the opposite. He doesn't want me to drive at all. He is afraid I will get into an accident and we be liable because I'm not supposed to be on the road. We were just telling people that I can't drive right now without explaining the whole story, but then I started thinking that they probably were thinking "this chick lost her license for too many DUI's" So now I make sure to explain why I can't drive! LOL

Keppra gave me heart palpations and swful headaches, think just one them things though diff meds affect people differently

I'm on Keppra and Lamictal now, and I don't have any headaches - except for caffeine withdrawal. I used to get massive migraines once a month during my hormonal cycle. I will say however that with Lamictal there did seem to be a sort of medical cliff, where there was little improvement until I popped up from 250 mg/day to 300 mg/day. Then my auras practically disappeared.

All in all, I'm guessing it has to do with your diet, hormones, and metabolism. Good luck though.

OMG I get such bad headaches almost every day. I'm only on 75mg 2x a day and 250mg morning and 500mg at night of valproic acid. This morning for instance i was caught up in bed holding my head as if a bat was taken to it.

Back
Top Bottom