[MAD] Keppra Levels

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My Keppra levels were checked and they came back as zero 0, anyone else experience this?

Billy.

Wow! That seems quite unusual. Even if the blood was drawn at trough (when the Keppra would ordinarily be at its lowest in your system), it should register a decent blood serum level. What did your docs have to say? Either the blood tests were done wrong, or something about your metabolism is either flushing the Keppra or preventing it from being absorbed in the first place. Do you have seizure control? Are you experiencing Keppra side effects?

yeah definitely something they need to explain to you.

I know my levels of Lamictal keep going whack. its never what it should be. and they are trying to figure out why now.

Ok, the Doctor is going to raise the Keppra again....
so he said, so I don't know why it didn't show up, it could have been faulty, but I wouldn't think....

Billy

Um, okay so I'm not a Dr. ..... but my md never does blood tests to check for Keppra cuz he said that the manner in which the body absorbs this medication causes the readings to be unreliable. He went on to explain that the drug processed through the kidneys quickly and somewhere along the way he lost me. I also know that the ER here does not do blood tests for Keppra readings either.

Neurologists disagree on this issue -- some definitely check Keppra levels, and it IS possible to get a reading. On the other hand there is no well-defined standard for what the correct blood level should be -- it's different for different people -- so basically whatever works to control the seizures in a given individual is the "right" dose.

yes, but i think a zero blood level is something to be concerned about. if your not processing the keppra through you kidneys, where is it going? or if you are processing the keppra, why is it being flushed out so fast?

Back
Top Bottom