Keppra & Pregnancy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epilepsee

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have experiences with Keppra and pregnancy? I am currently on a low dose (1000 mg/day) and my spouse and I are having another child. Keppra is pretty much the best solution for pregnancy that I can handle. With my first child I wasn't on anything- I was tapering off a very low dose of depakote for the first four weeks (he came out fantastic :), but had a seizure at 40 weeks and don't want to take the risk.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions to make pregnancy easier? My last pregnancy was really tough...

With all three of my pregnancies, I was on keppra and carbatrol. Keppra was 3000mgs a day, and Carbatrol 1200mgs a day. All three came out healthy with no health problems. :) As for helping to make the pregnancy easier, try not to overdo things, take more time for yourself and dont push yourself. My first two boys are only 10.5 months part in age. Now I know my body wasnt healed from the birth of our first son, when I got pregnant with our second, but that alone was just hard on my body. My OB told me to take it easy, and make sure I dont overdo it.

Thats my best advise I can give to you.

Your probably know this already, but... it's very important to take a folic acid supplement, especially for folks on AEDs, and especially during the first months of the pregnancy.

Your probably know this already, but... it's very important to take a folic acid supplement, especially for folks on AEDs, and especially during the first months of the pregnancy.

Oh yes! I forgot to add that too! Def take some folic acid! Now my dr told me exacly how much to take, I cant recall the exact amount, but she wrote it down and I picked some up at the store. Its very important to take that!

Thanks so much for the info- I was on only 1000mg, momof3.. but have had to move it up to 1500mg due to sleeping issues so it is pretty low. Nakamova, I have been taking a b-complex with a good amount of folic, hope that works

You should be getting at least 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid per day in your B-complex supplement. For women who have epilepsy, though, some doctors recommend a larger dose, up to 4 mg per day. Check with your doc to make sure you're getting enough, okay?

Back
Top Bottom