Keppra question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
ive been taken 2 keppras in the morning and 2 at night and there 750mg. and im going to see my doctor in a week. was just wondering what other meds go well with keppra. if anyone knows please help me out and write back to me. thank you xxx

I take tegretol XR with keppra, and the two combined seem to keep my seizures at bay. Plus with the tegretol XR, it's safe to take while pregnant if that time came for you. The only thing with the tegretol, is that I had to have the mirena IUD since its the only birth control that works with it.

I'm also taking Tegretol with Keppra but I'm taking Tegretol CR. I've been told it works well as a second medication with Keppra. I would ask your doctor which one works best for your situation.

Good luck!

-Mary

Last edited:
Prior to only taking Keppra XR, which I take the same amount as you... 2 in the morning, 2 at night, also them being 750mg tablets, I was taking Carbatrol ER with it. It worked wonders for me! great seizure control. The only reason I was taken off of it was because it was over 10 years since being on it, and there was concern for it causing bone marrow problems with being on it too long. I did try Vimpat with the Keppra, and also Lamictal, but both medications didnt work for me. So for now, Im on Keppra XR at 3000mgs a day, til I see the neuro on March 19th.

Oh wow! :) Ty momof3boys! I havent even heard of carbatrol before. My idiot doctor has been putting me on the same 4 Meds for the past few years.. I didn't realize he was till my husband pointed it out. And the 4 are keppra,Dilantin,lamictal, depokote. :-/ so I'm hoping to find a better/new doctor soon.

Vimpat is terrible not only dose it cost ALOT but there's soo many bad side effects :-/ I was going to take it but I don't think it's worth having those side effects :(

I took Vimpat in March of 2011, and it was horriable! I was in such horriable moods... crying, not wanting to be around anyone at all. Just getting out of bed, was a chore for me to do. I got up to 100mgs and the dr cut my dose in half, thinking it might make things better, but it never did. I was taken off of it, and then tried Lamictal. that stuff for me was a living nightmare! My dr wanted to slowly wean me off of Keppra, only going down 250mgs each week, which would have taken 12 weeks total to get completely off. But within days of starting the Lamictal, I had sores around my mouth and chin area occur, and then came the swollen glands in my neck area. My neuro said Lamictal wouldnt cause that and told me to go see my primary care dr, becuase it was a sinus infection. Little did I know when I got to my primary care dr, she ran tests, all came back fine, no infections. But once she heard about my neuro starting me on Lamictal, she said all of what was going on, was a severe allergic reaction I was having to the Lamictal and I had to contact my neuro ASAP to get off of it. My neuro was in disbelief and said there was no way it could cause those reactions. Well, he was stubborn, but told me to stop taking it. within days of stopping it, all the stuff cleared up and I was back to feeling like myself again. Just goes to show you not all neuro's out there are genius's when it comes to knowing what certain anti seizure medications can do to one person. we all react differently.

I hope you get a good medication that will control your seizures. :)

momof3boys that is a great example of how we are all unique in regards to medication reactions. The combo Vimpat/Keppra give me occasional severe dizziness but not anywhere near a constant basis. But it has created a side effect that my Neuro now still has a hard time accepting.........it made me allergic to oranges, tangerines, and grapefruit. Go figure and grew up eating tangerines all the time.

I grew up finding out that I couldnt have grapefruit when I took my seizure medications, such as carbatrol. My mom didnt know this til well after I was on it, and when she did find this out, I had to stop eating the grapefruit I had in the mornings before school. We all have our own ways we react to each medication. I hope your neurologist can see where youre coming from. I had to change my neuro I was seeing. I tried the generic keppra xr in November 2012, was on it for two weeks and felt alittle weird. But didnt have any seizures stil two weeks after starting it. Luckly for me, I kept two weeks of the name brand I had on hand. But when I went to reorder the keppra xr they gave me the generic so I thought id try it. He came out and said there was no way the seizures could occur going from name brand to generic. Right. So Im onto a new neuro who I will be seeing in about a week. Some of those neuro's out there just doesnt have the full knowledge of epilepsy.

I am on Lamictal with Keppra, and I really like the Lamictal. Keppra alone wasn't really doing it for me, but with the Lamictal, things are pretty well controlled :)

Keppra works well with tegretol not much side effects from keppra apart from anger I'm in process of being took off it. I don't really want to change to vimpat after hearing the side effects :(

Back
Top Bottom