Coping With Epilepsy Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Getting Comfortable

Keppra RDY 1-82 vs Keppra M-615

Hello. I just got my 2nd bottle of 500mg Keppra pills. My first bottle came from one pharmacy. The pills are beige and say "RDY" on one side and " 1 | 82" on the other. My second batch was from a different pharmacy. They're white, a little smaller and say "M | 615" on one side (blank on the other). Also, I do have insurance and my co-pay on bottle 2 was 80% cheaper than bottle 1.

I found both pills on drugs.com and noticed the M-615 version has fewer inactive ingredients. I was just wondering if anyone has had different reactions to different "versions" of Keppra? Was one more effective than the other? Did one have side effects but the other did not?
Add Post to del.icio.usStumble this Post!Reddit!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Honestly... I feel I had a reaction when changing pharmacies and brands. Same name, different manufacturer and different looking pills. Just my experience, but on the generic Keppra and sort of doing okay, then switched and whammy.... downhill from there. Im very sensitive to lots of things and have lots of allergies, so keep that in mind. It may be more likely the fillers that got me. I read somewhere that most neurologists insist that their patients take brand name only. They are quite expensive. $430 a month for the Keppra vs $38 for the generic. Im cash pay so of course had to go with generic. Would get brand name only if you can afford it. Brand name is typically better.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Getting Comfortable

These are both generic. The first pharmacy mentioned the non-generic for $400+ so I went with the generic. The new bottle says Mfr: Mylan. Pharm #2 kept my old bottle so I don't know who the manufacturer was on the first pills.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I start taking the new pills.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,548 Posts
I take Keppra-500 mgs. The Mfr. is UCB or non-generic. My epileptologist says "NO generic" for me. Most generics do have fillers, therefore you will notice a difference with the way they interact. For a short while, I had changed pharmacies and they mistakenly switched me to generic and my auras/seizures increased. Now I'm back on the real thing, and the seizures are under control again.

My insurance covers it.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Joined the Party

The RDY 1 82 pills are from "Dr. Reddy's Laboratory" (from Drugs.com).

I'm one of the lucky ones that can take generic Levetiracetam (Keppra) with no noticeable problems and excellent seizure control. I think I have had 4 different manufacturers in the last 3 years. The pharmacist is really good about notifying me about the change in manufacturers. There was one time they couldn't give me one manufacturer because it wasn't covered under my insurance plan. Thankfully I have really good prescription coverage, generic only costs me $10 a month.

Hope you don't have any issues with the change in manufacturer.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I use gen brand keppra and have had decent seizure control and going to be upping my dose with neurologist approval of course! buu if offered the brand I would mind trying it but that would be up to my neurologist of course and if my primary ins and secondary ins if they'd both cover it!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM

http://www.drugs.com/imprints/m-615-13996.html
M615 is from Mylan Pharma.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kornfuzed View Post:
These are both generic. The first pharmacy mentioned the non-generic for $400+ so I went with the generic. The new bottle says Mfr: Mylan. Pharm #2 kept my old bottle so I don't know who the manufacturer was on the first pills.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens when I start taking the new pills.

Thanks!
Mine were both generics. But if you aren't that sensitive to stuff, it will probably be fine. At least now you'll know if things change, what the cause is. Good luck.