Keppra XR

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My dr just started me on it last week. haven't taken Keppra before, what are the Kepprage issues?

I have been a little overly irritable lately but that could be related to PMS and the holiday stress.

keppage is the rage of emotions...when I am down, it is the most depressed I have ever felt...when I am angry, it is raging anger....all the emotions are heighten. I started Keppra in May and I really didn't feel this emotional problem until about August. Some people say it hits them hard as soon as they start.

I went through kepprage off and on for about a year after I started it. Things seem to have cooled down now, though. JGB--Does yours seem to be getting any better?

no, Morgan, it seems like it is really bad right now.
I have days that are not as bad...but it seems like a daily issue to deal with the emotions..I keep kleenex with me for the crying spells and have been listening to Christian music to help keep me calm. I go see the doc in a month...it's on my list to talk to him about!

I can't say that my keprage really ever went away. I just got better at dealing with it and channeling it away from other people. I take it out on inanimate objects instead.

JGB - I agree with the music treatment. Not necessarily any genre for me, it just needs to be relaxing or include lower tones.

UGH! This doesn't sound good at all! I've only been on it a week and I haven't had any seizures :woot: but on Monday I got really mad at the phone co (they cut my serv. even though I paid my bill on time) and I kicked a hole in the wall. I do have PMS really bad occasionally but I've never done that before so for now I'll just blame it on holiday stress and PMS and I won't tell my husband if you won't k? LOL!:roflmao:

Keppra is really helping with the seizures ...I am 3 months, 2 weeks NO SEIZURES!!! Even when I first started, it cut them back from several a day to one a month...so I know it is working. I am really tried to just deal with emotional stuff so I can let it continue to stop the seizures.
One thing I have learned is all seizures are different....the meds also affect everyone differently...so give it a chance Juney!

:agree:

Yes, give the Keppra a chance. It has been great for my tonic-clonic control. You will probably adjust OK, though everyone reacts differently.

I had an outburst a couple of weeks ago triggered by an argument with my 24 year old. But, I held it away from her and then just vented on a LLOONNGGG walk.

Stay positive and sz free!!! :)

Update

Just as I was trying to be encouraging to everyone about Keppra, I find out that I need to be taken off of it. It is not because of emotional 'keprage', but because of cognitive problems I am experiencing.

I will cover my reasons for this change more in another thread.

Here, I wanted to assure the rest of you that Keppra has helped keep me tonic-clonic free for over 5 years. My Neuro believes that it has ran its course with me and the benefits are not what they once were.

Best of Luck to all of you and don't be afraid of Keppra (in my current opinion).

Back
Top Bottom