Keppra xr

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I wrote a blog yesterday and a few days ago telling about my seizures troubles. For some odd reason it seems that one of my medications or possible both are not fully working anymore. I was lucky and was told a few days ago that I have a neurologist here in Austin.. FINALLY! But that bad news is that I won't be able to see him until November. I was told to go to ER if I had anymore seizure troubles since they can get a neurologist there soon. But me being me, I am stubborn but not as bad as my Sis LOL. So I decided to have a chat with my family doctor about changing Keppra to Keppra XR and keep Tegretol XR the same. He agreed to give it a try and then get blood work in a month or so.
Tonight I am going to start Keppra XR so that if it makes me real sleepy then I will be on my way to bed. I am HOPING that it will make a difference. I noticed a difference with Tegretol vs Tegretol XR. I can feel when Keppra stops working- even though there is probably medication in your system still, its just not a highest or peak level and you have to take it twice a day.
So- I am going to give it a shot and hope that both medications being at a sustained or slow release form will help. Missing medications have been a problem for me but I am working on it.
So XR's it is! Now just to wait and see how it works out. I would love to be able to go several months without a seizure. I am hoping!

Everyone or anyone on Keppra XR- give me some advise or experiences you care to share about it. I assume it will be similar to Tegretol XR in its constant/slow release of medication keeping me safer against missed meds ect but still want to hear from those on Keppra XR.
Everyone take care and be safe.

-Crystal

Hey Crystal --

I haven't been on an XR med yet, but I 'd love to know how it goes for you since I've been considering trying the XR version of Lamictal. I hope it does the trick for you!

Best,
Nakamova

I tried the Keppra XR. I really liked only taking it once a day and it seemed moodiness was down, I guess getting the even release of meds helped. The only problem I had was after starting it (maybe 2 or 3 weeks into in), I started losing my hair by the handful when I would wash my hair. My neuro didn't think it was the XR, said no reported problems with hair loss. He did all the test on thryroid, etc and nothing came back. I knew the only change I had was taking the XR, so he switched me back to regular Keppra and the hair loss stopped. I had no seizures on the XR
Good luck, let us know how it is working for you.

I sure will let you know how its going. I am excited about the change. I take both XRs of keppra and Tegretol and I know how well Tegretol has worked over the years- just don't like taking it LOL. Tegretol is a first generation med and i do hope to get off of it one day. But for now I think everything should work out ok.
I told my doctor that I have been falling ever sence med changes that I made (bad idea). I thought that since I was not having as many, that i would try to reduce down Tegretol XR which has left me with atonics. I still need to tell new neuro and get new EEG to totally confirm it.
Anyways- so far so good- only on day one so nothing will probably happen for a little while since it is XR.

Everyone- take care

Back
Top Bottom