Is Keppra XR causing my symptoms?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cawhitern

New
Reaction score
I'm switching from Dilantin to Keppra XR. I'm currently on 1500 mg of KeppraXR and 350 mg of Dilantin. I see my neurologist in 4 days to see how I'm tolerating KeppraXR and hopefully start to decrease the Dilantin dose. Ever since I've reached the higher dosage of Keppra I've felt super exhausted and noticed a decrease in strength. Also am experiencing chills and occasional body aches. Could this be from Keppra? Has anyone experienced similar problems when changing meds?
Thanks for any info or advice!

Cindy

Hello Cindy,

I'm on normal Keppra and the difference between the two is normal keppra gives off a quick release to the brain and system...where as Keppra XR is like my Tegretol release I take...it slowly releases in the system so the drugs constantly keeping the brain cells at a steady rate on controlling the seizures we have.

I'm on 1500mg of keppra daily and the neuro but me on an extra 500mg and within 2wks I did feel bad nausea / feeling sick besides my stomach aching and I soon pulled myself off it...twice she's tried and my body can't take the extra.

These are important side affects to alert your doctor with on keppra XR :)

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

•hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
•bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
•feeling very weak or tired;
•fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
•problems with walking or movement;
•the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild; or
•severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.

Less serious side effects may include:

•mild dizziness or drowsiness;
•mild tired feeling;
•loss of appetite; or
•stuffy nose.

I get fatigue and body aches every time I increase Keppra--it usually only lasts a couple of days though (the body aches anyway, the fatigue lasts a little longer). I get nasal congestion and irritation for a couple of days as well. It's almost like I experience a mild cold-like reaction as my body is saying "What's up with this stuff?" Then it balances out. Still of course worth talking to your doc about.

I get fatigue and body aches every time I increase Keppra--it usually only lasts a couple of days though (the body aches anyway, the fatigue lasts a little longer). I get nasal congestion and irritation for a couple of days as well. It's almost like I experience a mild cold-like reaction as my body is saying "What's up with this stuff?" Then it balances out. Still of course worth talking to your doc about.

Cindy i'd definitely speak to your doctor about the affects it's giving you...as we're all not suited to the same medication.
It's like the chemo med I take methotrexate for my lupus it gives of extreme side affects and organ damage and a lot of people can't tolerate the side affects, I've been lucky where it just gives me diarrhea roughly for 2-4 days.

I find fatigue the worst issue to deal with in life and it makes you feel worthless with your body in general, especially if your an active person.

It's possible. I had to be taken off it because my first neurologist was an idiot who put me on the first thing I wasn't allergic to and basically sent me off into the world. I continued to have seizures about every three months on the dot. It was really weird. I'm on lamotrigine now and my seizures have stopped almost entirely. I mean, when I have them I've usually messed up and forgotten because my memory is so poor now.

Back
Top Bottom