Lamictal and Blood Level Test

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bella2010

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

I posted over in the Padded Room forum because I feel that's what I need right now - LOL - about returning seizures and being 5 1/2 months pregnant.

My doc tells me there isn't a blood test to check and see what my Lamictal level is. Is that true? Anyone else on Lamictal and have levels checked?

I think if there is a blood test for this, this is a pretty good time in my life to get them checked, duh. Trial and error is for the birds.

Any help would be appreciated!

TIA,

Beth

I've had my Lamictal levels tested 3 times. First time my absorbent rate was low for the dose and then second time it was high *could be the other way around. I'm tired and think I'm coming down with the flu* and am now awaiting the results of the third time.

There is a way to check how much of a substance is in your blood. Think of it this way. How does a doctor know what to give a patient whose is suspected of an overdose, if he doesn't know what they took? And a coroner determines the cause of death as overdose of such and such drug. *example, he ruled Michael Jackson died of vicoten and other drug combinations.*

So if you were to take Lamictal, they would have to figure out what is going on with you, should you end up in the hospital and cannot communicate. Certain drugs they can't give you while on it.

They can check dilantin levels and alcohol levels. They can check Lamictal too. I think your doctor is hiding something or not interested in doing anymore than needed. Call him on it.

Rae1889,

Thanks for the feedback - I really appreciate your time. I would feel a lot better knowing if I am getting enough or too little BEFORE I have to have a seizure to figure that out.

Thanks again,

Beth

Hi Beth --

I've also had my Lamictal blood levels checked -- at least twice since I went on it the fall of 2008. (In my case the doctors were concerned that the blood levels were on the low end of the range. However I'm also someone who tends to need lower amounts of meds in order to achieve seizure control. When I was on Dilantin I also was fine on a lower than average dose).

It could be that your doctor has already decided that the estrogen/Lamictal issue is to blame for your recent seizures. If that's the case, he should make that clear.

Back
Top Bottom