lamictal generic - something weird

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

annietn41

New
Reaction score
I have had seizures for 18 years - started when I was 26. I have simple partials and during a seizure I lose the ability to understand language, to speak words, to understand words spoken to me. This can last anywhere from 1-5 minutes. I tried every drug known to man (except for Dilantin) and only Lamictal has worked. They have never taken away my simple partials completely - I still have at least have one per day. My neuro told me I'm as good as I'm going to get and I really agree with him. There is no other pills or combination of pills that work as good as these.

I started out with the brand name. Then I got a new neuro and he didn't put brand name only on the script. The generic did just as good anyway so wasn't a big deal.

I refilled my script last Sunday and they looked different. They have always been a blue pill shaped like a shield. These new ones are small, round and green.

I have not had a seizure in 9 days!!! I just got back from talking to the pharmacist and he said they got these from a different manufacturer. He said no way are they different. I say - you are wrong they have to be - I told him that and he still did not believe me. I said listen, I have not gone completely seizure free in 18 years then I start these pills and my seizures are gone - they have to be different!!!!!

He said my next 90 supply comes from this same manufacturer but he cannot say for sure that the next 90 supply after that will. I told him when I get back to those blue shield shaped pills and I start having seizures again I will demand they get them from the other manufacturer. He said he wasn't sure if they could do that.

Sorry this is so long - I am so excited!!! I have done research and seems I know more than the pharmacist because with the generic brand they can be a little different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

What do you guys think about this - do you think I just magically quit having seizures at the same exact time I got my pills from a new manufacturer???? Weird but I guess could happen. Okay - done now - LOL

Rita

What it

is---the generics can vary in effectiveness. You have evidently gotten one that is stronger than the name brand.

Don't get me wrong--the chemical make-up is identical. But the potency is different. Generics can range in potency/effectiveness from 80 to 120% of the brand-name, which is the standard (100%). If you get one, like you evidently have, which is stronger, and is doing a better job, it's obviously got a higher potency than the brand name, and may be at a 110% to 120% effectiveness.

Be careful of this, though. Have blood work done on a regular basis to make sure that the higher potency/effective drug is not hurting you in other ways...

I am going to call my neuro tomorrow and talk to him about it. Hopefully it will be okay since they work so well but if not then that's life, huh? LOL

Thanks for the reply!

Rita

If you've found a particular version of the med that works even a generic one, that's great. The tricky thing now, as you've discovered, is obtaining it on a consistent basis, and with consistent potency. You may have to push hard for both your neurologist and your pharmacy to agree to this. You might want to try contacting the manufacturer of the generic (the name is on the pill) -- it's a longshot but they might be able to provide some insight.

This is the very reason I REFUSE TO GO MAIL ORDER! I have the option with my insurance but I prefer to go to the pharmacy myself. I happen to have a very good working relationship with my pharmacy team at my local CVS. I have 4 scripts with them currently so they are all in the same place, they know me well, They actually have to order in my generic brand Keppra and Topamax. (Mylan). They don't stock it, but they can order it in. I found that if I take the same brand generic I do much better. I did not do well on the brand they were carrying on a regular basis (Glenmark). The key to all of this is to have a good relationship with the pharmacy staff. They will get you what you need all you need to do is ask they are there to help you. Just be nice and ask good questions. I asked today if they could fill one of mine today early since I was going on vacation next week if they could get one of them in a few days early and they said no problem. See? Good luck. It will work out. Just keep trying.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom