Lamictal and hair loss??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cawhitern

New
Reaction score
I startted Lamictal about 6 months ago and about a month ago I noticed my hair looked thin, really thin. I noticed hair in the shower drain and an increased amount on my brush. Today I got a haircut and asked my beautician if my hair was thinning and she said she noticed some thinning 4 weeks ago but now it looks like I've lost about 25% of my hair!
I looked on line and saw where this is a side effect with this medication. Has anyone else experienced this? Did it stop after a while? Did it come back? This is really depressing.
TIA,

Cindy

I've never experienced this but If this is an unwanted side effect make an appointment with your neurologist.

I called my neuro's office today as soon as I left the salon. I haven't heard back so I'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow.

My neurologist keeps trying to talk me into taking Lamictal. I think I'm going to tell him no.

It's not just the vanity factor of losing hair. It's the question beyond that. If it is powerful/pervasive enough to make your hair fall out, what else is it doing to your body?

I completely agree. I was on Dilantin for over 30 years and had some severe side effects from long term use.
I was started on Keppra XR and continued to have simple partials and a couple of complex partials. They added Vimpat but that didn't change anything so Lamictal was added. I just finished tapering off Vimpat and now the hair loss. Since I'm still having simple and complex partials despite adding other meds, my thought is that if the additional meds don't make a difference, why no just go on mono therapy with Keppra XR? Less meds, less side effects, right?

I experienced hair loss when I went on lamictal, although it's also possible that it was due to the med I was on prior (Zonegran), since hair growth cycles tend to have delays. At any rate, the hair loss stopped after a few months, and my hair is fine now.

Thanks Nakamova for that lovely bit of news!
I've got to admit this has completely bummed me out. Not trying to sound vain but my hair has always been my best feature......ok, I'm kinda vain. With all the problems that epilepsy has caused me I sure as heck don't want hair loss to be another one.
You've perked me up more than you know! Thank you.

My hair is one of my better features too, so I know exactly how you feel. It's normal for me to be shedding all over the place (I have long hair), but this was different -- a noticeable amount of hair would fall out if I just ran my hand through it. I was very relieved when things went back to normal, and I hope the same happens for you.

Extreme stress and trauma (high fevers, restrictive diets, pneumonia, accidents) can affect the hair growth cycle, but the effects won't show up for 6 weeks. That's why I can't rule out Zonegran as a contributing factor, since I was basically starving on it before I made the switch to Lamictal.

I take lamictal and I am loosing hair also. It's been a little over 7 months since I started taking the lamictal. I never associated my hair loss it with this med because I perm my hair every 8-12 weeks. Hmmm, guess I'll give it a few more months and see if it stops.

I checked some websites and read that the hair loss usually starts about 4 months or so after the Lamictal is started and that's about how long I've been on it. I still haven't heard back from my neurologists office so I'm calling again tomorrow. They say it takes several months for the hair loss to stop. I'll be bald at that rate.

You and me both. I will see my neuro doc in March. I know that's a long time to wait. If you find out anything, like should I be concerned will you post it? I was afraid to take the lamictal to start with because of the skin disease associated with this med had higher risk.
I was terrified of it. By the way, since I have been taking the lamictal I have flu like symptoms, do you?

Yes!
The symptoms come and go, I'll run a fever with chills. I'm having headaches that I never used to have. I also have a dry mouth and throat. I'm bruising like crazy too.
Are you having any of these symptoms?

Yes, the dry throat. I have not noticed any bruising and I've had headaches all my life. I also have fever, chills and sneezing frenzies. After the bouts of sneezing, the chills, dry sore throat and runny nose. It last for a few hours and then goes away like it never happened. I always feel like I am catching a cold.

Have you talked with your doc about these symptoms? I mentioned it to the neuro doc, she looked at me, jotted something down and never said a word about it. She also increased the dose. I think these things are side effects of the med as well.

I get dry mouth and eyes, which I think is from the Lamictal. Also, it's hard to know for sure, but I think I'm more susceptible to colds/coughs with Lamictal.

I'll run a fever with chills. I'm having headaches that I never used to have. I also have a dry mouth and throat. I'm bruising like crazy too.
I think you should definitely let your neuro know about these side effects, just to be on the safe side. On the drugs.com site for Lamictal it says:

Call your doctor at once if you have:
-- the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild;
-- changes in your menstrual periods;
-- low blood cell counts - flu-like symptoms, swollen gums, mouth sores, skin sores, rapid heart rate, pale skin, easy bruising, unusual bleeding, feeling light-headed;
--possible signs of brain inflammation - fever, chills, headache, neck stiffness, increased sensitivity to light, purple spots on the skin, confusion, drowsiness; or
-- signs of inflammation in your body - swollen glands, severe tingling or numbness, muscle weakness, upper stomach pain, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes), chest pain, new or worsening cough with fever, trouble breathing.

I did not know know that.so it that not getting old and fagged out then as I thought my hair was that
odd thing my hair is totally white in abnormal way everyone ask what I done to it..It sounds nice but look awful so had to have it dyed.Went white about same time started lam.
Of cause if I was man it look good typical

Nak is right. The symptoms you have sound like the ones listed under call your doctor at once.

I take Lamictal and a few other meds. I've always had bone strait hair and it's gotten curly, it looks like I've had a perm!

I talked with my hair dresser, not exactly a dr, but she said she's seen things like this happen all the time with people who take meds or have medical conditions. Their hair might change color, become curly, strait, thicker, thinner and other things. She said it's pretty odd that it happens but it is normal.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the information. I'm still waiting to hear from my neurologist. She's really great and supposed to be the one of the best in the state but it's like pulling teeth to get a call back from her office.

Why is it that when you report side effects to your neurologist, they don't listen. Even the ones they say to report to them aright away if you experience them??? I finally heard back from my neurologist's office and was told that those side effects I'm having (headache, bruising, dry mouth and hair loss) are rare and it probably wasn't related to my medication. She's ordered labs to check my drug levels, my thyroid function and BMP. I'm sure I need these checked and I hope I'm wrong about the meds being the cause of my symptoms but sometimes I don't think she takes me seriously. Of course it doesn't help to be home, doing nothing because I can't drive and I can't work. I'm used to being busy working as an RN for the last 23 years and this is driving me crazy! Anyone else have this problem?

Back
Top Bottom