Lamictal and hair loss??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

When started on Lamictal, I experienced the hair loss and vision issues, as well as an increase in my blood pressure. Even though those are all listed as potential Lamictal side effects, my neurologist insisted that I probably had diabetes (I don't), and that that must be causing those side effects. My neuro seemed weirdly invested in Lamictal, and had no interest in hearing that it might be problematic.

Nothing is ever related to the the drugs, my hair has got thicker, I bruise easy all the time, bad headaches which I believe is from the lamictal. I was told many times it has nothing to do with the drugs.

No the hair loss stopped after a few months -- and it might have been the fault of the Zonisamide that I was on prior to the Lamictal. It's hard to tell, since hair growth cycles can have long delays. But just the fact that my neuro wouldn't even entertain the notion that Lamictal might be having side effects was infuriating.

How do you find lamotrigine for clarity of thought? I have to come off of frisium/clobazam...

When I first changed meds, I started on Keppra which made me feel like a zombie. Then Vimpat was added and it was worse so they added lamotrigine and weaned Vimpat. Lamotrigine definitely made me more alert, in fact, I had to start taking trazodone at bedtime because it keeps me awake. My head is much clearer and my though process is almost normal. I still have difficulty with finding words and my memory is shot, but that may be due to the Keppra.
Lamotrigine is also prescribed for bipolar disorder as a mood stabilizer. If my hair is falling out for another reason, like hypothyroidism, I'd give it a thumbs up!
I'm getting labs drawn in the morning to check my drug levels, thyroid, and to see if there's a deficiency or anything else that may be causing the hair loss.
Good luck!

By the way, welcome Alberta!!! This is a great place to get information, support and make friends who know exactly what you're going through.

Hi Alberta, welcome to CWE!

Lamictal is supposed to have fewer cognitive side effects than some of the other meds. That's been my experience, though everyone reacts differently. I haven't had any problems with it on the cognitive side of things, and it's been pretty tolerable overall for me.

How do you find lamotrigine for clarity of thought? I have to come off of frisium/clobazam...

I take both of them.i abused the colbazam and coming off be difficult but I know I should.i think my thought process is not good

Got the results of my labs and, as per the usual, I haven't heard a word from my neurologist. My lamotrigine level was perfect but my Keppra level was (gasp) 75.8! Therapeutic range is approximately 20-40 I think. WTH! Is anyone familiar with high Keppra blood levels? My GP called regarding my elevated level but he wanted to know if I'd talked to my neuro. He suggested my hair loss could be due to the elevated Keppra level. Any thoughts??

Thanks for the threads, Nak. Lots of good information there.
Have you heard or read anything about the effects of high blood levels of Keppra? I'm trying to figure out what the heck is causing this. I know I have several possible risk factors besides the Keppra; I've lost weight (30 lbs since July) which I've read can be a shock/stressor and can cause hair loss, I've been on the Adkins diet which can cause hair loss, and although my T3 level is low normal, it's still low and that can cause hair loss.
Thanks in advance!
Cindy

Most of the information out there refers to Keppra toxicity from overdose, as opposed to the effects of prolonged exposure to a high dose. I think fatigue would be the most noticeable side effect.

That's the only information I've been able to find as well. From what I've read, this test is relatively new and there's some differing opinions as to the efficacy of its use. Perhaps not many patients even have their levels checked. The first time I had a blood level checked it was in the normal range; my neuro said it wasn't something that needed to be checked very often unless symptoms were present. I'm wondering if the lamotrigine effects the level.
Always an adventure........

I double-checked to see if lamotrigine affected keppra serum levels or metabolism, or vice versa, but the two meds aren't known to interact in any way.

I've lost weight (30 lbs since July) which I've read can be a shock/stressor and can cause hair loss, I've been on the Adkins diet which can cause hair loss

I don't know if you are trying to loose weight or not but I was on one med a good while back and I pretty much stopped eating and I lost a ton of weight. My mom had to force me to. I was on it for about 3 weeks before we told the neuro what was going on and he immediately took me off of it. I wish I could tell you which one but I've been on so many through the years.

I know my weight gain and loss is due to what I eat now and has nothing to do with my meds. I have a good bit of fatigue and I know that's due to my meds.

I see my neuro 4 times a year. If he's raised or lowered a dosage of meds he always checks my blood levels on the appt after he's done it unless something is happening. In general my levels are checked about twice a year.

I thought I had some hair loss at first but my hairdresser says she hasn't noticed any change.

MAB,
Are you taking Keppra or lamotrigine?
I was trying to lose weight, not eating many carbs/starches, and most of my diet is protein,someday veggies and healthy fats. I don't have much of an appetite and I think that's partly due to the lamotrigine.
The neurologist decreased my dose of Keppra to 1500 mg daily. She now says that could be the culprit for my hair loss so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed!

I'm on lamotrigine. I lost 30-35 pounds when I first started taking it. I am not at a good weight and the weight loss has dropped off. The doctors say it doesn't cause weight loss but I believe the people that actually take it daily over what the doctors say but I have heard both. Some gain and some loose.

I heard Keppra causes weight loss. I tried Keppa for 3-4 days but got horrible hives and wanted scratch my skin off.

I know Topamax causes weight loss and my neuro mentioned it but I am afraid to take it. My son begged me not to try it. His wife took it for 2 weeks, years ago and she has never recovered from the damage it did to her. She can barely form a coherent sentence.

Hi all. Am new to the forum. I'm on lamictal, 200 mg 2x day. In some ways I'm lucky. Temporal lobe seizures, focal only. Lamictal has made me feel so much better, I'm scared to change. but the hair loss! I've always had really thick hair. Now if any more comes out I'll be bald on top. Have tried the hair loss supplements (biotin, selenium, etc), take a multivitamin regularly, and have gone to my gp to have bloodwork. I did find out I'm borderline low on thyroid so have started that med. I'm hoping it helps. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom