Lamictal and new to this

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been having toni - clonic seizures for 4 years now and was told for the 4 years it was all in head.
Recently in the last 3 months they were gradually getting worse and ended up having them daily.
I asked for a neuro appointment due to this and went to see him 2 weeks ago.
He decided to prescribe me lamictal.
Since i have been taking them i have not had a seizure at all.
I have alos change my diet to healthy eating. All fresh food, fruit, vrg etc taking vitamin c And it is the best i have felt in the last 4 years.

I have not had any side effects either.
Which get me to the fact i told my neuro that i want a baby and he told me under no circumstances to get pregnant, while taking the tablets.
He said as i am young (24) i should not worry.
Has anyone had a baby while taking lamictal? Or would the neuro change everything for the reason of wanting a baby?

Hi skypumpkin, welcome to CWE!

It's great that you've finally got a real diagnosis, and a treatment that is working. But your neurologist is incorrect in saying that you should not get pregnant while on Lamictal. Here's the scoop: The vast majority of pregnancies on AEDs turn out fine. Some of the newer AED meds, including Lamictal and Neurontin, are considered much safer than first-generation drugs. There ARE risks to having a baby while on an anti-epileptic drug, but they need to get weighed against the risks of having untreated seizures (especially tonic-clonics) during the pregnancy. (You can search for discussions of this using the search button on the top menu bar.) It's important that you find a neurologist and an OB/GYN who are familiar with both pregnancy issues and epilepsy, and who can help you figure out the best course for you. In the meantime, you should be taking a folic acid supplement -- important for all pregnant women, but extremely important for women on AEDs.

Best,
Nakamova

My neurologist told me that Lamictal isi the safest AED to be on when trying to get pregnant and while being pregnant. This is because there is such a low risk of side effects in teh baby. But he did say I should take Folic Acid about a month before trying to get pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom