Lamictal Rash

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starburst

New
Reaction score
My 17-year-old son was just diagnosed with epilepsy a few days ago and is taking lamictal. The doctor said if he has a rash while taking the medication, he should stop taking it immediately and notify him.

I have done a bit of research on-line, but I was wondering where on the body such a rash is likely to appear? With my son being 17 and all, I am worried that he will not remember to tell me if he sees anything odd on his body. What specifically should he be looking for, and where should he look?

I am on Lamictal and had no rash problem. Reading on drugs.com indicates that it could start on the upper body and face.

Also, I found this in the details.

Rash resulting in hospitalization occurred in 0.3% of subjects who participated in clinical trials. These rashes included Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, angioedema, and rash associated with a number of systemic manifestations.

Seeing how there are different types of rashes, I am sure they could occur in various areas. Personally, I would help him check, at least like on his back that he can't see.

My 4 yr old just got off lamotrigine due to the rash. His started on his mouth, bottom lip. At first it looked like lip liner, fake red...Then I noticed teeny tiny white bumps that quickly disappeared and gave way to pealing. The rash traveled quickly (bottom to top lip during morning)..I also believe he had in his throat, because he said it bothered him. The rash was itchy for my son. He went on Benadryl (last dose is today) and it pretty much cleared up within 5 days (still has a tiny scab)

Your son def needs to check himself over really well daily...Private parts is another place it tends to appear first.

Last edited:
Don't mess with the rash, Stevens Johnson's syndrome is serious and there is no cure. Like Anna's son I too got a rash on my lips, inside my mouth too. It happened for me, only on it for 4 days. I never had a cold sore or canker before in my life so I was concerned. My neuro first said no it has to be a rash but I was beside myself on this drug. I begged him for a new one and he said i was stressing myself to the point of having "cold sores". Something still didn't seem right to me. Now the rash was on my lower lip and neck. I drove to his office to show him. By the time I got there I did not realize it but it was all over my chest and torso. With all AED drugs comes side effects, lamicatal is a great drug, just not good for me. Don't let scary stories make you want to change a med, they all have their own problems. It is about finding a good fit for your teen. If I remember correctly lamicatal is safe for pregnant woman and I believe it is eliminated through the kidneys rather than the liver. That to me is a positive for your son (not the pregnancy part haha). So.....I hope it is a good fit. Just help keep an eye on in. As for you baby, gosh I'm sorry. I can imagine how overwhelming it must feel to have both of your children experiencing this. This forum is a great place for information and support. Best of luck! You can also show your son the forum too! :)

I was on Lamictal for two weeks in April of 2011 and what I thought was acne around my chin and jaw area, actually turned out to be the rash. It looked like acne bumps at first, but then started to get dry looking and form scabs. It hurt so bad. Every night and morning I would wash my face and they would bleed. I finally went to the drs and had gone in because my glands in my neck were getting huge! The dr looked at me and said due to those two symptoms, it was most def from the Lamictal. My neurologist didnt agree, but took me off Lamictal and it all went away. So I know it was from the medication.

Kristin - That's how my sons got...To the point of forming scabs ( a few broke - smiling will do that) .. I figured it must hurt! But the itching was so intense for him he seemed to focus more on that.

I am glad I stood strong with his pedi. At first she said..."well, I don't know...maybe chapped lips" "has he been sick?" ...I said my son has NEVER had chapped lips, a cold sore, nadda in his little life. That this rash appeared day 4ish of using Lamotrigine. After I explained that, and the way it came about - looking fake almost than going immediatly to peeling, cracking, itching...she became nervous about it and told my sons neuro that she believed it was an allergic reaction to the med...Neurologist did not give a problem, thank goodness!

Kristin - That's how my sons got...To the point of forming scabs ( a few broke - smiling will do that) .. I figured it must hurt! But the itching was so intense for him he seemed to focus more on that.

I am glad I stood strong with his pedi. At first she said..."well, I don't know...maybe chapped lips" "has he been sick?" ...I said my son has NEVER had chapped lips, a cold sore, nadda in his little life. That this rash appeared day 4ish of using Lamotrigine. After I explained that, and the way it came about - looking fake almost than going immediatly to peeling, cracking, itching...she became nervous about it and told my sons neuro that she believed it was an allergic reaction to the med...Neurologist did not give a problem, thank goodness!

I noticed the "sores" appearing a few days after I started the Lamictal. They looked just like acne, but as the days went on, they got really sore, and red, and then formed scabs! They hurt so bad! It was then a few days later that I noticed my glands in my neck area were getting really sore and tender. I couldnt sleep on my sides, which I always like to do. One morning I woke up and my husband couldnt believe what he was seeing! He said my neck was so swollen! Thats the day I called my neurologist and he said it was probably a sinus infection, to go to my Primary care dr and get checked out. But after taking some blood tests, and her doing a full exam, she said I had no infection going on, and once she heard about the lamictal, she walked out of the room, looked it up and came back saying, thats exacly what was going on! I was having an allergic reaction! It kind of frustrated me that the neurologist couldnt believe it, but because my primary care dr gave me papers saying it was from that, he agreed to take me off of it and keep me on the Keppra. Yes, it hurt alot when I did smile, or eat, since they were so close to my mouth area, and would crack anytime I used those muscles in my face area!

Wow just like mine on day 4! Mine actually started in my mouth though and it hurt so bad.

I felt so badly for him! He complained so much of the itching, but you could also tell it must hurt!! I put vasiline where it was the worst (worried, did not want him to itch with his teeth and eat the vasiline!) which seemed to help him until the benadryl started to help.

Thanks to those who replied regarding the rash. It's been almost seven weeks now, and my son started to get a whole bunch of pimples on both of his cheeks about a week ago. He almost never get pimples, so it is really noticeable. Here's the thing, though. He used a bad-quality razor to shave his beard around the same time, so everyone thinks the pimples are a reaction to the razor. All of the pimples (and there are a lot of them) are directly under the beard hair, which has since grown back, albeit sparsely. We took him to the neurologist, who said that the pimples do not look like a Lamictal rash. He then examined his back and said we have nothing to worry about. That was a couple of days ago, and today the pimples look even worse. I am trying not to worry, but I am actually a bit worried anyway. If the pimples are really due to shaving, I wonder how long it will take them to disappear. Any thoughts? The skin looks very, very irritated.

Makes no sense. If he has the same rash on his back, could not be from shaving. I would take him to his pedi/internist and ask them to take a look. If they think drug related, they will call his neuro and tell him/her that it is.

Don't mess around with this. Read up on Stevens johnsons disease and lamicatal. I'm not saying its that by any means but it is sooooo serious. I got the rash and was taken off immediately. Keep us posted.

Acne can also be a side effect of Lamictal. It's not mentioned in the package insert, but some in here have complained about it. I'm one of them.

Since your neurologist has seen it and says it's okay, just keep a close eye on it. I wouldn't worry too much. If you are still concerned take him to a dermatologist. Usually if you call for an appointment, ask for the nurse, and say "lamictal" and "rash" in the same sentance you'll be in the same day.

Keep a watch out for Stevens Johnson syndrome. Not to scare you (because SJS is rare), but it can be fatal. In addition to a rash, watch out for swelling or flu-like symptoms, fever, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, etc. If he has any of these, please have him go to the doctor FAST.

• Rash, blisters, or red splotches on skin
  • Persistent fever
  • Blisters in mouth, eyes, ears, nose, genital area
  • Swelling of eyelids, red eyes
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Recent history of having taken a prescription or over-the-counter medication Target lesions are not always seen in SJS!
IF YOU NOTICE TWO OR MORE OF THESE SYMPTOMS, CONTACT A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY!

RISKS:
SJS and TENS are life-threatening reactions. If left untreated, they can result in death. Complications can include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, photophobia, lung damage, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of the esophagus and other mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patient s pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat. These are just some of the side-effects that have been reported.

http://sjsupport.org/fact.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens%E2%80%93Johnson_syndrome

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stevens-johnson-syndrome/DS00940/DSECTION=symptoms

Last edited:
I found that Lamictal gave me chin acne, so that could definitely be what's going on. It helps to be careful with your skin, and avoid salty greasy foods.

Thank you for all the additional information, including the fact that lamictal can be the cause of acne in some people. Perhaps this is what's happening to my son. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Just an update:
My son still has the pimples, but I am now convinced they are either acne or the result of poor shaving techniques.

Back
Top Bottom