Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My daughter 16 had the dreaded lamictal rash. For "us" it looked almost like a goosebump look and feel. I don't recall it being red, I do recall it hurt. It started on a small spot of her chest, that grew. It was on her thigh, and sides of her body. Any rash on lamictal really should be looked at, imho*

My daughter was switched to keppra and I'm not sure thats the drug for her either. 2 down, 1 to go*

good luck
joan*

Here is one example of a Lamictal rash:

lamitical.jpg

Great idea, great pictures. We took my daughter to the ER the first morning she had the rash so I am sure we caught it quickly. Looking at these pictures, thank God* Its not something I'd wait on.
joan*

From eMed TV:

LAMICTAL RASH -by eMed TV

Lamictal Rash

Not all rashes with Lamictal are dangerous; however, sometimes the drug can cause a more serious rash. In studies, about 0.8 percent of children (and up to 0.3 percent of adults) taking the drug experienced a rash that was severe enough to require hospitalization. The best way to prevent a life-threatening rash is to follow your healthcare provider's dosing instructions and report any rash immediately.

Lamictal Rash: An Introduction

Lamictal® (lamotrigine) is a prescription medication used to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression). In rare cases, Lamictal can cause life-threatening skin rashes.

Life-Threatening Rashes With Lamictal

You may be wondering how a skin rash can be life-threatening. While most rashes are merely bothersome, some can be dangerous. Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) are rare types of rashes that can be fatal. They can cause large sections of the skin to die, which can lead to disfigurement or dangerous infections. As many as 40 percent of people with toxic epidermal necrolysis (which is more severe than Stevens-Johnson syndrome) will die as a result of the condition.

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis are most often caused by medications, including Lamictal.

How Common Is a Dangerous Lamictal Rash?

In studies of Lamictal in children, 16 out of 1,983 children (about 0.8 percent) experienced a rash that was severe enough to require hospitalization. One of these children died as a result of the rash. Children taking Lamictal with divalproex (Depakote®, Depakote ER®) or valproic acid (Depakene®) were at a higher risk, with about 1.2 percent of these children experiencing a dangerous rash.

In adults, a dangerous Lamictal rash seems to be a little less common. Up to 0.3 percent of adults taking the drug developed a rash that required hospitalization. The rashes were less common in people taking it for bipolar disorder and were more likely in people taking Lamictal for epilepsy. Just like with children, combining Lamictal with divalproex (Depakote, Depakote ER) or valproic acid (Depakene) increased the risk of serious rashes (up to 1 percent).

Signs of a Dangerous Rash

Not all rashes seen with Lamictal use are dangerous. However, it is impossible to tell if a rash will be dangerous or not, regardless of how long you have been taking Lamictal. You should tell your healthcare provider immediately if you notice any rash while taking the drug, as any rash could potentially be life-threatening. Talking to your healthcare provider as soon as possible (and stopping Lamictal, if necessary) may help limit the severity of the rash.

Can Rashes With Lamictal Be Prevented?

It has been suggested that taking more than the recommended starting Lamictal dosage may increase your risk of a dangerous Lamictal rash. Also, it is thought that increasing your dose too quickly or combining Lamictal with divalproex (Depakote, Depakote ER) or valproic acid (Depakene) may also increase your risk.

The best way to prevent a life-threatening rash with Lamictal is to carefully follow your healthcare provider's dosing instructions and tell him or her about any rash as soon as possible. Do not take more Lamictal than your healthcare provider recommends, and be sure you understand exactly how to increase your dose. If you have stopped taking the drug for a while (even just a few days), talk to your healthcare provider, as you may need to start back at a lower dosage.

Some of these rashes like moist areas, so Rebecca had one med that started in her throat. If the body changes in any way while on a med, make notes and call the doctor.

This drug is not recommended for anyone under the age of 16. I am not sure if there is a weight limit, but my daughter certainly wasn't the size of an average 16 yr old and she was put on it when she was 15. It is crazy making.

Thank you so much everyone for your answers. We took Phillip to the doctor saturday night, and he thought it looked like a viral rash. It's better today and Phillip seems much more comfortable.

Any ideas about great doctors in the south east?

Cathy

Here is one example of a Lamictal rash:

lamitical.jpg

Thats how the rash looked on Jennifer. She was admitted into the hospital weaned off Lamictal and put on keppra. Just funny how lamictal works GREAT for her brother..

The wonderful world of meds ACK!!

joan*

My rash looked like small birth marks, slightly raised, blood red and small like a bite, i had about 30 of them on my legs.

Hello,
It can cause so many type of side effects. these rash are really very bad and gone with so much efforts. so first we have to consider all the things than we have to take lamictal and these type of medecines.

thanks!!

i developed the rash two weeks ago after being started too fast. i was put on prednisone when it got worse and now it continues to get worse so we are going to a new dr tomorrow at the hospital to see if i need to be hospitalized because it's in my mouth now

Oh, Gr33nr0se,

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! I am so horribly sorry. IMHO you need to go to the hospital NOW, not tomorrow. Do your parents understand what you are dealing with, at this point? (possible SJS)

Everything is going to be okay. You are in an industrialized country, and we have good medical care, thank goodness. Most major hospitals in the U.S. can handle SJS, and the docs know how to treat it.

Q: Is your hospital a teaching hospital? A large hospital or a smaller regional one?

I'm so sorry gr33nr0se. I agree with Endless -- get to the hospital quickly And feel better soon kiddo.

lamictal rash

Has anybody seen a rash from lamictal that lasted a month I have a daughter that has a rash from lamictal can someone give me some idvice what to do

Back
Top Bottom