Last night...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

xenome

New
Reaction score
... I slept so bad. I heard my roommate leave for work at 3:00am and I was in bed trying to fall asleep and then I heard noises as if someone was in my house.

I thought my home was being invaded!

So I got up and armed myself and searched my place, but noone was there so I tried to go back asleep, but I heard footsteps and whispering again and I got up and searched again.

Finally I fell asleep at 5:00am, and here I am at 8, typing this message.

Im worried I might have a seizure. But I cant sleep! What do I do?

Last edited:
You need to get to sleep..... Try playing some soft music in the other room, drink a cup of warm milk, shut off the computer, and do some deep breathing in bed. That's all I can suggest.... :( Sorry about the insomnia...

sometimes when i cant sleep i watch boring stuff on tv next thing you know im out for the count:)

Watching TV or listening to soft music usually works for me. So well in fact that after I put the kids down at 8, I sit on the couch watching TV and am normally aleep shortly after.

Hi xenome,

I hope you've been able to rest. I feel like that when I can't sleep also...very on the edge of seizures. Try to relax and rest.

Take care and feel better!
Michelle

Alright, I was able to finally fall back asleep, I just woke up. I only hope its enough sleep to prevent a seizure.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the help everyone.
I appreciate all of you so much.

I agree with Robin!

Reading helps me. I think it slows the mind down from the bouncing around that it does all day. This does not include the internet, it needs to be a book or newspaper.

:gnite:

in the future

While some are suggesting books to read do one of two things to help in the long run. The first is to limit it to a small amount either by size of the book, pamphlet or by setting a limit on the pages read, remember we are trying to fall asleep and the second and it works for me is that while not asleep the resting state of by body revitalizes even though my eyes are open granted this is not sleep but it beats worrying about it is the worry part in us that keeps us awake in the first place. These work for me must of the time lighting also plays a roll in how we fall asleep soft tones really help.
Good Night Jerry

Problem is, I dont have any books. I am a product of the
video game era.

That is why we build libraries...
You need to exercise another part of your brain. That's like only eating corn chips and no veggies.

I was thinking about this situation though the last few days, as the EEG Institute is attempting to correct this with neurofeedback on Rebecca. I guess it has begun to be a problem since she has started this therapy. So I am thinking that as your brain is working in certain areas, it has difficulty slowing down to allow sleep to happen. Knowing that it is time to sleep.

I also believe that if you go to bed worrying that you will not fall asleep, most likely it will keep you awake. If your only thoughts are the difficulties or stuggles with this issue, the more it will happen. A "Law of Attraction" idea. If you go to bed knowing that you are going to rest, knowing that it will be a much needed activity, and allowing your body to relax then most likely it will.

Also, if you are bombarding the brain with "games" and images from the TV or computer screen prior to sleep, it might take quite some time for your brain to switch to sleep mode. If you create a getting ready for sleep pattern, with warm water (bath, tea), soothing music, a book that is easy on the mind or a magazine, lower the lights..etc then your body is getting the signals of what is ahead.

For me the relaxation techniques, I look forward to doing them , when I get horizontal, as I feel on some days extrememly tense. I know now it works, so ... it does.

Also I saw a very interesting video on how you can work with your body temp to train the brain to know it is time to rest:

[ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22912853#22912853"]msnbc.com Video Player[/ame]

I think you are right Robin. Whenever I go to sleep I lay awake just thinking about stuff. I need to learn to turn my brain off. It is always active.

Thanks for the other tips too, Ill try them.

I just thought of something else... guess it is an analogy.

When you smile more you feel happier.

nicely said

Robin you have a gift for the right words with the plethora of information that is stored in your mind and then the right way to say it thanks
Jerry

That was a very kind thing to say, Jerry. I greatly appreciated the fact that you took the time. Far too often I am told that I am not a very good communicator, so this will be a treasure that I will remember during those moments.
Thank you.

There's also progressive muscle relaxation. If you tense up muscles as tight as possible working from one part of the body to another, you will be much more relaxed as you start to release each muscle group.
I find this very useful. It's 3am right now and I slept over 6 hours. I will go back to bed simply for the extra rest that my body well needed. I will try this technique before I head to bed.

I have found reading, relaxing every muscle of the body one by one, or even listening to the radio helps me get to sleep. The brain sometimes needs diversionary therapy for sleep to occur. Coffee a no no.

Back
Top Bottom