Lavender-its aroma has soothing properties that relieve stress and aids sleep

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zolt

New
Reaction score
Lavender Medicinally, its aroma is said to have soothing properties that relieve stress and aid in sleep.

Interesting, not sure if it's true or not, i'll let everyone know when the lavender plant i planted at my moms starts to grow big.

http://daviswiki.org/Lavender

:piano: :pop:

I think that we find things we like to be soothing. If you like lavender it will be soothing but I don't think the lavender itself has soothing properties.

I have just finished a book that talked about how male babies have developed breasts because of the hormonal imbalance lavender & tea tree oils can have. The oils were applied topically.
Lavender and Tea Tree Oils May Cause Breast Growth in Boys

Also, according to Drugs.com
Contraindications
Cautious use or avoidance is warranted in patients with known allergy/hypersensitivity to lavender. 2

Pregnancy/Lactation
Information regarding safety and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is lacking. Lavender may possess emmenagogue properties, and excessive internal use should be avoided in pregnancy. 2

Interactions
CNS depressants and anticonvulsants may increase or potentiate narcotic and sedative effects when given in combination with lavender-containing products. 1 Anticoagulants may increase the risk of bleeding when given concomitantly with lavender. 1 Lavender may also cause additive cholesterol-lowering effects when given along with other drugs that lower cholesterol (eg, statins, nicotinic acid, fibric acid derivatives). 2

Adverse Reactions
Lavender may cause allergic contact dermatitis and photosensitization. 1 Large oral doses have been associated with nausea, vomiting, and anorexia. 2 Additionally, 3 case reports suggest a possible association between topical application of lavender and tea tree oils and prepubertal gynecomastia. 5

Toxicology
A case report describes an accidental ingestion of lavandin resulting in central nervous system depression in an 18-month-old child. The child's neurological state normalized within 6 hours of ingestion. 6
http://www.drugs.com/npp/lavender.html

Back
Top Bottom