leg cramps/numbness??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aboizd1

Pillar
Reaction score
The other day, I had a moment when my calfs went completely numb and I didn't think I would be able to walk. It was extremely painful and it was as though all my muscles and veins just "seized" up. It was only above the ankle and below the knee and lasted for about 5 minutes?

I had been sitting on my knees for about 5 minutes before hand but never before have I experienced leg cramping, so I guess I'm wondering if this has something to do with my meds (gentopiramate) or with seizures in general...?

any ideas?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi aboizd1,

I haven't heard of a specific link between leg cramps and epilepsy, but some E meds have a long-term effect of peripheral neuropathy -- numbness and nerve pain in the extremities. But what you describe sounds more like a circulation issue -- do you have any blood pressure issues? Some leg cramps are also cause by excessive caffeine.

Best,
Nakamova

Rebecca had a seizure with one med, that caused her muscles to contract over and over again. It lasted quite a while, and was sore afterwards.
Since being off of that med she has not had a similar situation.

Hmmm, I haven't had any blood pressure issues and I didn't have any coffee before it happened nor did I have any soreness afterwards, it was really weird. It definitly wasn't normal...

I guess I'm just blurry on what really counts as a seizure? I know there are so many different types and so many things to watch for... I know when I'm about to have a full blown one where I fall to the ground kind- the grandmal ones are what i've had, and i've had a partial one(?) more recently but even I don't know fully what it is classified as...I'm trying madly to sort it out but there is just so much!

But these leg cramps kinda freaked me out because it went from being in one leg to being in both legs to barely being able to move..

Hi aboizd1,

I had a similar experience back in June, except I had been sitting with my legs crossed for about a half hour, and when I went to stand up, both thighs were cramped and both feet felt like they were on fire. I had to crawl to the sofa and work my way to stand up, but when I stood, it hurt so bad, I could hardly walk. It lasted for 4 days. They did a nerve conduction test (only on one side) and couldn't find anything. I also have Type 1 diabetes, tho, and my endocrinologist thinks it is neuropathy.

Have you had any blood sugar testing done? Some anti seizure meds can cause blood sugar problems that can lead to neuropathy.

Hi Clint that sounds very similiar to what happened with me- I don't think I've had blood sugar testing done...although it's possible because I have done so much blood work? Thanks for giving me a name of something to look into as I have no clue- I'm going to call my doctor after the weekend.

I haven't had any bloodwork done on my new medication though...

Ummm - I have a question here

The other day, I had a moment when my calfs went completely numb and I didn't think I would be able to walk. It was extremely painful and it was as though all my muscles and veins just "seized" up. It was only above the ankle and below the knee and lasted for about 5 minutes?

I had been sitting on my knees for about 5 minutes before hand but never before have I experienced leg cramping, so I guess I'm wondering if this has something to do with my meds (gentopiramate) or with seizures in general...?

any ideas?????

Umm, I am unsure if you spelled the medication
correctly, but my assumption from what you are
implying is either you are taking an anti-inflammatory
medication or a hormone medication. Because there
is no medication listed as you implied above, I've
had to revert to worldwide pharmaceutical book
to look it up and it does not exist; but due to my
deceased father being a Chief Pharmacist, I am
familiar with a lot of medications (brand and generic)
so I am assuming you are either taking one of the
two above and merely mistyped the name.

Neither one of the medication have anything to
do with seizure control at all. But there is a
medication that does start with a "G" but I
am not spelling it out because I want to hear
it from you first, I know what it is and I know
some folks in here would know what it is as
well ... which is an anti-epileptic drug.

But that medication itself has nothing to do
with what you are experiencing, and which is
leading me to believe you need to visit your
Physician and have a check-up if you have not
had one. It is possible that you could have some
other medical conditions not associated with
Epilepsy. Just to let you know ...

We are NOT Medical Doctors here, although we
do have some onboard, but we do not provide
medical advisories here, you need to see your
own Physician(s) who knows you and has your
chart/records up front and is able to treat you.

:tup:

Back
Top Bottom