Less than 3 days until my V-EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am really nervous, but oddly kind of excited. Been cut down on my Keppra since Saturday and thinking I may have been having some activity since cuz my bottom lip is swollen. And keep spacing out. Ah well as long as I have some activity Wednesday.

don't be nervous, they'll take good care of you. it's a once in a lifetime experience that's for sure, so may as well take it all in. learn as much as you can. pretty cool all the different people you meet too.

good luck on the seizures... may you have as many as they need ;)

Lol thanks. I'm just not a big fan of hospitals is all. May there beds be comfy and there food be good. Lol

hmmm. bed not bad, food crap. sorry, just imo.

btw, i like your avatar. i have a hoodie i bought to wear into surgery, says 'i fight like a girl' and has the same purple gloves. underneath it says EPILEPSY WARRIOR.
love it. girls rock!

Hi, STBM / Soon To Be Mommy! If you have ANY questions about a V-EEG, I just had one completed on June 8th this year. Wow, I'm impressed how technology has changed, yet stayed the same in 10 years, since my last V-EEG. GTownGirl is right, though. It is a learning experience, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Take care! :)

Okay I will keep that in mind. What should I bring with me? Besides entertainment for a 24 hour EEG? Am I able to bring my own pillows? Plus my bf says I have diaphragm spasms when I sleep and kinda seem like I have sleep apnea, should I mention that?

Hi again, SoonToBeMommy. The only requested items I brought were pajamas with a button down top & a list of all meds I'm taking, including any over the counter. Yes, please do mention your diaphragm spasms & possibility of sleep apnea because your neurologist, nurses, & patient care techs may want to keep you in a room closer to the nurse's station. I think bringing your own pillows will be fine. How long will you be staying in the hospital? If you'd like to know more about the V-EEG process, I will send you a message.

Its supposed to be a 24 hour, but I've heard they might keep me longer if they don't see what they want. Not sure about that though. So idk. I don't have a button up shirt. I was just planning on wearing my comfy, fuzzy Hello Kitty pj pants and a Hello Kitty shirt. Is it necessary to wear a button down? So nervous I leave tomorrow morning.

so you're only staying in one night? hmmm, never heard of just a one-nighter before. shortest i've read about is 5 days.
the button-down is b/c if you need to take it off for whatever reason (IV line etc.), you can't pull a shirt over your head, so you need to be able to pull an arm out or anything else they need access to. your head will have close to 30 wires coming from it and movement is limited. over 17 days i wore a combination of a button down pj shirt with a tank underneath (showered every four days) and a tank with a hoodie (zipper front). it doesn't have to be pj's, as long as you're really comfortable and can take it off without going over your head. good luck!

My pj pants are really comfy lol, but the shirt is low cut and they usually but the IV in my hand or arm.

oh good, as long as your sleeve will roll up fairly far you should be okay.
and pls don't be nervous, albeit stressed nerves may help bring on a sz, but as far as nervous/scared, take it from us there is nothing to be worried about. these people really know what they're doing and watch close to make sure you're okay.

I really hope so. But I will try not to be so nervous. Unless I need to bring on a seizure tomorrow lol. I just really hope the doctors are good at what they do.

Just wanted to wish you all my best, Soon To Be Mommy! The doctors & staff will watch you very, very closely (there will be camera on you 24/7, hence the reason they call it video-EEG) & will take care of you. So please relax as much as possible--as my neurologist told me, "If there's any place to catch up on sleep, if and when we're not sleep depriving you, this wing of the hospital is the place to do it."

hi im new to this forum myself... and new to epilepsy also... we are still trying to diagnosis and catch a seizure.. i have had one eeg that showed spikes..( was only on 25mg topamaxat this time) . a 24 hr eeg that was normal with a normal baseline ( was at 250mg topamax at this time) and yet i keep having these weird symptoms, my epilepsy dr says flat outright they are not seizures... the topamax is doing its job and is keeping my complex partial seizures away..i was blacking out and not remembering things ( see my intro ) yet im having pupil dilatation i get dizzy i hear a hissing sound in my left ear all about the same time, it makes me feel like crap.. i feel flushed, nausea..and things will trigger this...i have journeled it. happened more often few weeks before my cycle... however yes i have had these symptoms when i started the topamax never happened when i wasnt on it... anyways... im due to go in for the 5 day hospital V EEG and im nervous that i will be a wast of time, that they wont catch anything...im so frustrated with this process...its been a long year for me...im emotionally drained i have also had 2 mris that are both normal...and its been 2 years of sparatic blackout seizure activity with my last in feb.

thanks for listening

If you are not happy with your neurologist, it might not hurt to get a second opinion. A normal EEG doesn't rule out epilepsy... If the hissing in your ear started after the Topamax, it might be a medication side effect. (Topamax causes tinnitus in some people.)

Back
Top Bottom