Levetiracetam side effects.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been suffering from deja vu episodes for approx 10 years but they have become more intense and more frequent in the past 3 years. I also get a pins and needles/ burning sensation down my left side just before the deja vu/nausea.
I haven't been diagnosed yet as the EEG failed to show anything abnormal. I have a small cyst on my brain but the neurologist seemed to think it was insignificant. He started me on 250mg levetiracetam 2 weeks ago, increasing to 500mg tomorrow. He intends to use the medication to diagnose me.

My problem is that I am finding the itching and tiredness unbearable. I have a rash on my arm too although that's probably been caused by the constant scratching rather than anything else. The itch just got so bad yeasterday that I decide to stop taking the tablets. However I barely got any sleep as I had several seizures during the night and several more today.

Would that have been caused by stopping the levetiracetam even at such a low dose? I intend to make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and the seizures have frightened me into taking the meds again today but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to cope with the side effects especially on a higher dose.

I would be interested in hearing from other people who have tried levetiracetam/ keppra.

Thanks.

It sounds like it might you might be having an allergic reaction to the Keppra. Itching and rashes need to be reported to your doctor immediately. Remember that your doctor is available telephonically. If you land up with side effects that are dangerous or unbearable, it's best to make a habit of calling your doctor rather than making your own medication choices. Stopping an AED suddenly can cause seizures and status, so when you need to stop a med, you'll need your doc to give you a weaning off schedule. Sometimes, you'll need to stop a med straight away (possibly even now with your rash) but your doc might want to cover you with an emergency med while you're going off the previous drug.

Hi GlasgowGirl, welcome to CWE!

Would that have been caused by stopping the levetiracetam even at such a low dose?
Yes, it's possible, especially since it sounds like you are sensitive to the med (for better or worse). It's usually a bad idea to stop an anti-seizure med cold turkey, but if you are experiencing itchiness and a rash there's the risk that you might be having a serious allergic reaction. Get in touch with your neuro or another doctor ASAP and follow their instructions.

When you talk to your neuro, let him know what side effects you are experiencing and ask about stopping. Also let him know if the Keppra is having any effect on your seizures. If you are able to stay on the Keppra, ask about taking a B6 vitamin supplement -- it can potentially help with some side effects. Also ask how to reach him quickly if the side effects become intolerable, and how best taper down in that scenario. And ask about what other meds you might try instead.

Do you have a sense of any triggers that might be causing your seizure-like symptoms. Are there any patterns? If you aren't already, consider keeping health diary tracking your symptoms any other factors that might be playing a role (stressors like fatigue or illness, hormone fluctuations, dietary factors, etc.). There's amore good info on being proactive here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for the replies, I'll phone the doctors surgery first thing in the morning as it's unlikely that my neurologist will be available to talk on the phone.
Having looked online I know that some people are able to work through the side effects and that they can subside. The itching really is driving me mad though, I'm constantly scratching especially my arms and legs.
I've been feeling quite down today and really irritable but I don't know if that could be caused by the levetiracetam in such a short period of time on such a low dose.

Hi Glasgowgirl, I'm mainly posting to say hi as we live not far from you (if you are actually in Glasgow). My daughter has epilepsy and while she has never been on Keppra, AEDs are powerful things so stopping them suddenly can, as Nakamova says, cause problems. However, as she also says, you do need to get the rash checked out.

Do you have an epilepsy nurse? Perhaps you don't if your diagnosis hasn't been confirmed but they are generally more accessible than the consultants, on the phone at least.

Good luck with getting to the bottom of what's happening.

Hi Jane, yes I do live in Glasgow.
I don't have an epilepsy nurse as not been diagnosed yet. Will need to just talk to my GP and let him contact the neurologist for me. Think I'll be stuck on them unless they can find an alternative though. Will let you know how I get on.

Back
Top Bottom