light bulbs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
What type light bulbs do you use in your home? I've always used incandescent because of seizures & migraines but I understand we won't be able to buy them in the US after this year. Thanks.

Incandescents. Always. Despite their apparent imminent unavailability. The genius of Congress........ exchange something that (perhaps) wastes energy for something that causes seizures, migraines, and cancer. What a country.

Stock up on regular incandescents - sometimes you can find them at hardware supply stores, small stores like ace hardware, not the large chains

I read that china bought up over 95% of Rare Earth materials, which may hike the price of those new bulbs up to 15 dollars a pieces. the supposed benefit is that they last longer and are supposedly environmentally friendly. -

i dont know how that could be since you need a mask, gloves, and a jar that is sealed with tape to sweep up the shards of your broken bulb - and you have to make sure that you air your house out for a while, since those bulbs contain MERCURY!! -> http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html <- heres the EPA site, describing how to clean up a broken compact bulb in your home and how to 'properly' dispose of it. You darn well need a hazmat suit to clean it up..

They do not tell you how they are 'recycled' or where that mercury goes once it leave the curb of your house in a double bagged trashbag or a jar sealed with tape. Another thing - if these bulbs only contain the amount of mercury to cover the tip of a pen, 50 mcg - then why all the extra measures to clean it up? the tip of a pen seems like a miniscule amount. Are they being truthful? its hard to tell nowadays....i do think the govt. hide info from us or makes things seem like everything's hunky dorey just to keep us from panicking if we knew the truth. I am not a conspiracy theorist by any means but sometimes, i wonder.

They also claim that the energy used from regular bulbs makes the coal-burning power plants release mercury and other pollutants into the air. It seems they would rather have you deal with the mercury in your home than to use the tiny bit of electricity that their powerplants burn just for you to turn on a light.

I also think that there was a study somewhere that showed that the new bulbs dont use any more electricity than the old ones did. Not only that, many people claim that the new bulbs are dimmer than the old ones.

What a world we live in. :ponder:

Along with this are LED lights - which may or may not be a better option.
Here is a link describing information on LED lighting [Popular Mechanics]-> http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/will-led-light-bulbs-best-cfls-and-incandescents

Another article describes LED lighting as a 'safer alternative' to the new regulated florescent -
http://www.alternativeenergybase.co...ighting-Considered-A-Safer-Alternative-/20870

I hope the Epilepsy association knows about this. There are statistics that say that 1 out of every 100 people have seizures, making our numbers in the millions. Are they going to let a portion of those people suffer just to pass their new environmental law?

Believe it or not most of my seizures have come in areas with dim lighting and places with dark lighting and neon lights..but there have been occasions where i have been in a store where they had overhead lighting that made me seize with partials.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/news/4217864 [Popular Mechanics] <- This is a link that explains why mercury is in the new bulbs. it attempts to quell some of the fear that people have with these items. They claim that there is enough mercury in a bulb to cover a 'ball point pen tip' - that you dont have to worry about mercury while the bulb is burning or while handling it [without it being broken] and that coal-burning power plants emit over 50 tons of mercury in the environment per year.

Here's an idea. instead of giving us mercury-laden bubls and allowing the powerplants to emit 40 tons of mercury per year with a country only buring these new bulbs - why not seek out cleaner and safer energy sources and stop the mercury emitting powerplants all together??

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the new bulbs also contain mercury...ugh! More environmental (and home) toxins to worry about. The brains of the people that make the rules.:einstein:

i dont use fluorescent lights at all especially because they start to flicker once the tube or the starter is about ready to pack in.

in fact i hardly ever enter shops/stores that have those horrid lights.

i just use standard 60w bulbs in my house but i read recently that the EU is banning them in the UK and we all have to use low energy bulbs instead.

ive got tungsten halogen uplighter in my living room with a dimmer switch which i find so relaxing and have no problems at all, mainly due to the light shining up the way and not in my face.

i hate bright lights!!

The (mercury-containing) bulbs ARE dimmer, and they don't light up immediately. And, they take forever to decompose in a landfill. Thereby eliminating any supposed environmental benefit. Coal plants may pump out mercury into the air, but crushed light bulbs can let it seep into the ground water.

I am not a conspiracy theorist (I think); I just have a low opinion of governments' outcomes. I think there is no legitimate reason for mandating the use of a hazardous chemical on a personal use level, to reduce its presence as a waste product in one situation, only to increase it in another.

I know some people don't like the "atmosphere," but Wal-Mart does sell them still.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to stock up on incandescent bulbs.

I went to LEDs for the most part, seem to be fine. Don't like the fluourescent, the flickering is not good.

Back
Top Bottom