Light headedness?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just curious what type of experiences other people have had with feeling light headed before/during a seizure?

I ask because this morning I am feeling rather strange. I feel light headed and slightly dizzy, and just overall weird (anxious, maybe?) My hands feel funny like if I'm nervous, etc. I haven't had any deja vu like I normally might with seizures, but I've always been rather light headed for more than a few (first time I had one it was about thirty minutes, the last time I felt weird for a couple of hours) minutes before a Tonic Clonic seizure (the couple I've had).

I just started on Lamictal XR a few weeks ago, and am still upping dosage (I'm only at 75 mg now) and am still on 2000 mg of Keppra a day. This is my first time feeling this way since I've started on the Lamictal... I was thinking maybe the Lamictal was all ready controlling my seizures, but it's hard to know if the lack of seizure activity the past couple of weeks has been because of the Lamictal or if I just haven't had any activity (sometimes I don't)... I'm still not even up to a "therapeutic" dose of Lamictal, so I wasn't sure. Anyway, I guess I wasn't sure if the weirdness I'm feeling was a result of Lamictal or if I'm having a partial.

I also woke up several times last night... Though I slept 11-12 hours both Friday and Saturday night.

I've also been feeling rather weird/depressed the past couple of days - like a pit in my stomach randomly. I've had a lot going on, but I know sometimes mood changes can be associated with seizures (on both of my EEGs I've had since my last T/C I've had frontal lobe slowing with spikes).

I'm hoping this goes away because I have an appointment I need to ride my bike to in an hour, and I always feel freaked out when I get these types of feelings.

i usually feel a bit light headed before a seizure and when i do have a seizure i feel sick. this only lasts a couple of minutes and then i feel fine again

Yeah it was definitely a simple partial/aura earlier. I'm getting the more familiar partials I usually get tonight. They tend to come in clusters throughout the day. I guess it's good I'm on medication now, because before medication the only time I had the auras that I was having earlier (the very light headed feeling) they turned into T/Cs.

Hi RunningGirl85,

Sorry to hear you're feeling light headed. I get this if i'm trying to do too much in one day. I also get it if I move my head around too much, I know that sounds weird but I have a feeling you and other people on here will understand! I also understand the nervous feeling too. I feel "fizzy" and full of nervous energy in my muscles, yet still lethargic and slow to respond to things.

I take 400mg Lamictal daily and overall, it has definitely improved my head spins and simple/complex partials. I used to get the headspins so strongly I would grip the bed (they would wake me up at night) or fall over if I was moving around. However if you're body is still adjusting to the new medication mix, it could be a symptom. Give it a month and see how you feel.

Take it easy x

Thanks Wobblez! Yeah I understand what you are saying! That's the beauty of this forum - people actually understand what you are saying. I tried explaining it to my mom and she just got worried and felt bad for me.

I was thinking the dizziness might possibly be a side effect as well. I know dizziness can be an effect of the medication. I'm getting some other partial symptoms as well (mostly my dreamlike auras that then include nausea) so I'm not sure if the light headed feeling is more one or the other. I've also been super tired lately for no real reason, so who knows what is going on in my head (literally!)

Yes, our heads are indeed a mystery. A friend of mine asked if the MRI showed my brain as upside down. I joked "at least mine isn't in the shape of a penis!" lol.

Whenever I've changed my Lamictal dose -- either up or down -- I've experienced some dizziness. It's a bit like spins, and would also happen when I was scrolling on the computer and moving my head at the same time. The side effect went away after a few weeks at a stable dose.

Back
Top Bottom