lips giong blue with seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

whisper

New
Reaction score
My Daughter is back in hospital with seizures...she took a bad one i thought i she was going to die ...her lips were blue and face changed and and the gargiling noise she was making iam so worried about her and she is confused not making sense the nurse told me a name for it michelle is like this after a seizure thinking nurses are talking about her ...could she die with these seiures when she turns blue

Whisper,

I'm so sorry that your daughter and you are going through this. It's so hard.

How old is your daughter? Is your daughter seeing a neurologist that you are happy with? Is he/she working on getting her on the right medications?

My thoughts are with you both. <<< big hugs >>>

Hi Whisper, oh my goodness I know that feeling well. The first seizure we "caught" our daughter having, she was swimming and didn't come back up. She was in a tonic state when her brother pulled her up and convulsing less than a minute later by the side of the pool. She wasn't under water long so I remember later thinking it was surprising that she was blue...all across her forehead, down her nose and all around her mouth. The second one, she also turned blue, mostly just around the lips that time. She hasn't had one like that now for almost six weeks (thank God). I know that gurgling sound and that look on their face, when you're wondering what on earth you'll do if she doesn't start breathing again NOW. I repeat "remain calm" as my inner mantra the entire time and it almost keeps me sane. The doctor keeps telling me that unless she goes into status or is injured, it's not generally an emergency. But the whole family got a refresher in CPR and will probably do so a couple of times a year, just because it makes us feel a little more prepared. This is still new enough for me that I'm getting up at least twelve times every night to check on her, I am obsessed with her safety and I do it because there's not much else I can do about it. Read up and learn as much as you can, it does help me feel a little more impowered and able to advocate for her with the doctors, schools etc. (((Hugs))) to you and your girl and I hope you find some peace of mind soon.

Hi Whisper,

Sorry to hear your daughter is going thru this, as it is hard on you, too. My children have seen their mother turn blue a number of times and thought I was going to die, but once I recovered from the seizure(s), I would discuss what had happened and that their mom was going to be okay.
Hang in there.

Going blue is actually a good sign DURING the seizure. (EDIT: it would be better to not have the seizure at all) It means you daughters body recognized its in trouble and sent all the oxygen to her brain and othe major organs like heart. When this happens, the brain doesn't consider the fingers, lips, extremeties or skin important. So it diverts that oxygen to the needed places. Its when she is done seizing and remains blue for more than 2 minutes that you should worry. as that means something is still wrong and the body is still protecting itself.

Also If she seizes for more than 5 minutes. The body has an oxygen store for 7 minutes without air. Then brain damage or death can occur.

It takes a lot for a seizure to cause death. My roommate has GMs or Tonic clonic seizures and she too turnes a blueish color and does make noises the same as you describe. The blueish color is either lower oxygen taken in or the blood is mainly going to the brain to protect it rather than go to the other parts of the body. I've hear both explainations of this.
As long as she regains normal behavior, breathing, awareness, and doesn't have other problems with it- its normal for these things to happen.
I have complex partials and nurses have told me that my neck gets red and under my eyes get purple or blueish color even though its a Complex Partial- not a GM. I still don't breath totally normal during it. Kinda weirdo. The explaination on why my neck is red is also because the blood is going to the brain fast to protect it during the seizure.
Grand-mal/Tonic clonic seizures are much more dramatic and sometimes are going to cause more pain or injury than other types but complex partial seizures take just as much out of you and it makes me think of what I say the most, in description:
It feels like being electricuted and drowned at the same time with a post-surgery type feeling. My weird description of the post-seizure feelings..

I wish her all the luck and will be thinking about you two.
Be safe.

I would ask as many questions as possible so you are more at ease about her seizures. Most people that see if for the first time think the person is real close to death. My roommate has had 5 tonic-clonic seizures and it still freaks me out even though I know what to do and what to expect..
Finding your friend in a puddle of blood in the kitchen is no way to wake up. She knocked her tooth inside her gum instead of it breaking off. God that was horrible to see her like that.
Sometimes I worry that the seizure will continue too long or it will be followed by another seizure.
SUDEP is rare but does happen. There are medications use in emergency situations to stop that. Sometimes people have seizures that last 20min or so- but thats extreme and does require ER treatment..

Sorry to hear of your fears and concerns- but I think its totally normal. Those are the things I thought of and I have seizures myself..
Take care.

Back
Top Bottom