loud breathing and seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cool1984

New
Reaction score
hi all,
does anybody here get loud breathing with there seizures?
my mum thought it was a panic attact!?
it start off by loud breathing then about 10mins later i started with a seizure possable simple partial. i new what was happing.
any adive would be great
thanks caz

Hello-
Normally fast loud breathing might happen during a grand-mal/tonic clonic seizure that most people think of when you say Epilepsy or seizure.
During a simple partial, most people can understand what is going on and don't ever loose awarenesss. Some people might have a shaking hand or tremor like episode, or an aura or strange feeling or smell or taste or all kinds of behaviors or experiences. No matter what they are, if they are caused by an electrical disturbance in the brain, its considered a seizure. An EEG test can confirm it too.
Having a 10min breathing episode before a seizure-like episode isn't something I've heard of, but I'm no neurologist LOL.
I would mention this to your family doctor or neuroligst if you've been reffered.
They could definitley tell you what might be going on. Some people have auras which are actually simple partial seizures. Events or feelings or behaviors that happen caused by the brain and aren't provoked by something else and usually are the same each time they happen to the person.
Those seizures that are photosensitive might be provoked by flashing or pattered lights etc. Those are called triggers.

I hope all goes well and you find out what might be going on with your seizures or seizure-like episodes.

Take care,
Crystal

Stress can trigger hyperventilation which can provoke seizures, especially absence seizures. It can increase cortisol, known as “the stress hormone” because cortisol is secreted in higher levels during the body’s “fight or flight” response to stress. And it’s responsible for several stress-related changes in the body which also may influence seizure activity.

Negative emotions related to stress, such as anger, worry or fright, may also cause seizures. This happens because the limbic system, the portion of the brain that regulates emotion, is one of the most common places for seizures to begin. You’ll probably find that you have more seizures during or after periods of anxiety or stress.

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom