Loud yell during seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

recall92

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been on medication for epilepsy for 2 and a half months. I have about 4-7 complex partials a week and 1-3 simple partials a week. Today I had a seizure at work in a group meeting. I felt an aura and was thinking "oh no not now". Anyway my friend said I yelled loud. My boss looked at me and I said "What" and looked kinda angry. I have explained to him my condition. I think that is the first time I have yelled like that. Just worried about because I hear people who have tonic clonics yell before they fall. I didn't fall just worried that a tonic clonic was starting to happen during the complex partial but didn't finish. Anyway know much about this screaming thing. Thanx :)

Hi recall --

The "yell" that happens that happens right before a toni-clonic is actually a very sharp intake of breath that sounds like a scream or yell. It happens because the body is trying to get blood/oxygen to the brain to deal with the out-of-control firing of the neurons.

If you didn't lose consciousness, it's more likely that your yell was a different variety, not a precursor to a tonic-clonic.

Hey! thx for the reply. I did lose consciousness because I can't really remember what happened. When my complex partials happen I alwasy lose consciousness. I'm just worried I was beginning a tonic clonic in the middle of a complex partial and the tonic clonic didn't finish.Thnx. Do people yell during complex partials?

It's not as common as some of the other behaviors, but complex partials can definitely manifest as yelling, as well as severe agitation and and extreme irrational fear or alarm.

From what I've learned about my friend's Grand-mal/Tonic-clonic seizures are when she screams or groans really loud, is when the air if forced out of her lungs. She stiffins up and then shakes but not violently. During her seizure she makes noises as air is being pushed out of her stomach or lungs and then at the end she makes grunting sounds as if her body is taking in a lot of air.
The snorting sound tells me that her body is trying to gain control over her breathing and after a while it seems pretty normal. Its like when you run real fast and your body requires a lot of air and you breath fast until you body tells you its enough, then you settle down and can relax more.

Sometimes a complex partial can generalize if the neurons spread to the other side of the brain. But normally you would have the CP and would go into the GM without really knowing it. Most of the times it would not stop short of it- but I am also not a neuro. Maybe you can ask your neuro if its a possibility for you.

My neuro told me that I have to be careful because my complex partials can generalize especially when I mess with my meds- or forget to take them.
I am famous for reducing my meds and then finding out the hard way- that its not what you should be doing. I am a worrier and sometimes scare myself about my meds and tend to take less.

Right now I am doing well though and not messing with them like before.

Take care,
Crystal

My CPs go into seconday generalization (t/ cs). My husband says that I a gasp loudly right before I go down, like Nakamova descibed, and then while I am in the t/ c state make sounds like I can't breathe...probably what Crystal describes, the ari is being pushed out of my lungs. He says this is the part the scares him because I don't breathe in at all. I don't thrash about wildly, he says my arms draw up and my fists clench, legs go out straight and everything justs starts shaking. He says my eyes also roll back in my head. This is what he described to the neuro at any rate.

Sometimes a complex partial can generalize if the neurons spread to the other side of the brain. But normally you would have the CP and would go into the GM without really knowing it. Most of the times it would not stop short of it- but I am also not a neuro. Maybe you can ask your neuro if its a possibility for you.

Several times I have come out of a CP and within a minute or more, I went into a generalized TC seizure, so it can happen.

While in the TC stage, they say my eyes roll back in my head, I shake all over, drool out of my mouth, don't breath and turn blue, but no one has said I scream.

Last edited:
Hi! I yell/shout out/ have vocalizations as dosing into sleep- usually 10 to 50 minutes into dosing. They come with an aura- fear/dread or a moments blackout that can be accompanied by rush through head and possibly a convulsion- i a am conscious through out. i may get a stabbing sensation to my chest and or I may feel I'm choking. before being medicated I was having up to 12 a night. They are refer to nocturnal seizures because they happen when I am dosing into sleep- be it night time or during the day. Would love some feed back. eeg and mri scan show nothing.
xx

When you talk , you breathe out and your vocal cords vibrate to make the appropriate intonations. The yell , usually during tonic clonics , happens just when the seizure starts , when all the air in your lungs is pushed against vocal cords whose muscles are seizing , so you cant control the volume / pitch . The yell is a fairly common phenomenon , and most common with generalised tonic clonics ( though it can happen with other seizure types) and is frequently seen at the start of the seizure.
Hope this helps
Arvind

Mine are exactly the same as recall92 whenever I have one. Had one in sobeys grocery store Monday, that must have been amazing for my husband.....

my last tc a couple weeks ago, my mom told me I was doing a "phtphtphtpht" thing with my lips, expelling air - I'm assuming it's from the muscle contraction

Nakamova really knows her stuff

Back
Top Bottom