Low Sodium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The thing I think they got wrong from there is assuming that the salt caused the heart to *become* unhealthy in the first place. There is absolutely no evidence of that.

I disagree. Salt is to the heart what glutamate is to the brain--a stimulant. Overstimulation of anything can cause problems--eventually. The heart uses primarily saltatory conduction. Too much conduction can lead to an overheating circuit, or a blown circuit (heart attack) in which cell death occurs.

Just like glutamate is too prevalent in the US diet, so is salt. I used to visit a Japanese market where I use to live, and use to buy low sodium soy sauce. The store owner and I got to talking, and she said that compared to Japan, the US food is far too salty.

I think part of this is perception. When we are used to something, good or bad, (good or evil), we become desensitized to its deleterious or adulterating effects. If bad things are introduced into our lives little by little, we lose sight of what is good. This is precisely what has happened in the US. (Has anyone read Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke?)

I can't go back to certain things I used to eat simply because I have been sensitized to what is bad for me by eating what is good for me. The principle works both ways.

Last edited:
No, you are right that salt is often overdone too. I'm just saying that, in trying to correct this some people went too far in the opposite direction.

Unfortunately a lot of "low salt" products replace the salt with MSG which doesn't help those of us with seizure disorders.

Some salt is necessary for everything in your body to function correctly. This is why the first thing any doctor does in a hospital is start an IV of saline solution.

The thing is striking the balance.

The thing is striking the balance.

I agree.

When I was in the ambulance recently, they put in an IV precisely for that reason. I was not particularly well, so I permitted it. I later ripped it out (literally) because it was causing me too much pain and I refused to wait for "approval" of the doctor to do so. I get to a point where I know pain (electrical nerve signals to the brain) will eventually cause a seizure, so I did what I thought was necessary to avoid this.

In a previous hospital visit, they refused to give me water. I go through what are something like "hot flashes," (yes, I am completely male) where simply having water will help me feel better.

I insisted on water at my most recent hospital visit, and they did comply. (What harm could water do.) I suppose in previous visits they must have thought I was "high" (I have never done drugs) or drunk (I don't consume alcohol). Having seizures really makes me thirsty.

Last edited:
Well I tried the tumeric coco water and other things and spent night throwing up.gonna keep trying the coconut water but my belly going over with thought.i got some pink salt had nip of it not bad for salt.first time had salt in years..I have been told thyroid plays big part in it all

Well I tried the tumeric coco water and other things and spent night throwing up.gonna keep trying the coconut water but my belly going over with thought.i got some pink salt had nip of it not bad for salt.first time had salt in years..I have been told thyroid plays big part in it all
Some people have an allergic reaction to coconuts just the same way some people are allergic to eggs or shrimp.

Also, how much coconut and how much turmeric are we talking about here? And, on another thread this morning you had coconut oil and coconut cream mixed up. This thread had been talking about coconut water which is a third very different thing.

Now I'm not sure which one you are trying or why are you mixing turmeric and coconut at all. Turmeric is a strong spice perhaps better left for cooking curries.

pI never take it but since my blood pressure so low that in itself not good for heart.lick of pink salt I had today first time in years I had salt.If I lived in Germany it would be classed as bad as high blood pressure. My bp can often is 60/20 I feel awful,it is at end of day the one that will kill you.

pI never take it but since my blood pressure so low that in itself not good for heart.lick of pink salt I had today first time in years I had salt.If I lived in Germany it would be classed as bad as high blood pressure. My bp can often is 60/20 I feel awful,it is at end of day the one that will kill you.
My BP sometimes crashes to as low as 65/45. I feel horrible and think I might die. I kiss my husband, tell him I love him, manage to get into bed and say a prayer that I will wake up and then pass out. I have told my husband since it has happened several times to call a life squad the next time because my brain doesn't function very well when my BP is that low.

BP that low is a reason to head to the ER if you can't manage to fix it ourself with some jumping jacks

I have been told thyroid plays big part in it all

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I had the left half of my thyroid removed (a benign tumor), nearly 30 years ago. Thyroid issues can cause nasty digestion problems. It is what triggered my first hospital visit in a decade about three years ago.

Funny thing about this whole sodium thing, my dr. has never called me about it! Tells me she doesn't think my low number is important or maybe never got the results (which were taken in the other dr office and went to her first). I know. I should call her. Got a lot going on here. Spent 2 1/2 days helping dh fix our car...and 2 days recovering from all that work. When I get my other procedures done and the week of jury duty (blek) out of the way, I'll call them.

Back
Top Bottom