Low Vitamin D Levels

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

empath4u

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have had extremely low levels of vitamin D for 10 years now. When I am tested with out taking D, my levels are between 6-12. While on it, I get into the normal levels, around 45. If I am off the 50,000 IU medication, I drop from 45 to 6 (which is very low)with in a short time. My PCP told that low vitamin D levels are related to seizures.... so, I was curious to see how many of you also have low Vit D levels? And does your neurologist test your levels regularly?

Hope you are all doing well today :D

I have had vitiman D level problems before too. My dr. said it may be due to my calcium intake after my thyroidectomy (causes problems in calcium levels). She had me start taking the calcium w/ vitiman D in it, pills. I got the ones w/ a higher level of D in it and I got Walmart Brand. Cost much less and just as good.

`This post reminds me to take the vitamins. I have a great whole-food-source multi that has good vitamin D3. I am more concerned about Vitamin K. AND phytoestrogens from fresh food that is neuro specific healing. I get most of my calcium from kale.

I take Calcium Citrate w Vitamin D. We get vitamin D from the sun, so most people are low on it.

Yes i read that even if you live in a sunny place in the U.S., anyone in the Northern hemisphere in going to be too low on D.

I'm in the UK and I had a blood test that showed very low VIt D levels. I was put on a course of super strength Vit D tablets for 6 weeks and that brought my levels up. I now take an over the counter vitamin every day. My GP did say that most people are low but there are acceptable levels and I was below that. This was before I started on Lamictal btw.

Thanks for your responses and input :D
I live in a desert where it is sunny 360/365 days a year....despite this, I am still very low. it is interesting to think that it could be an indicator of sz activity in people, a result of medications or just something that we lack in general..... I was just curious to see how many of us on this forum were indeed low and have have sz's too.
I hope all of you are doing well

Yes I'm low every time I'm tested, and I take it, and I run outside. I was having a lot of partials for a while; who knows if that is why, or if it's the meds or something else!

Do you live in Arizona, CA or Nevada? There are a few other sunny states that have deserts. But, then you want to stay inside with the air conditioning, right? If you stay inside, you are not going to get Vitamin D. We get Vitamin D from the sun, mainly.

Screw going out in this sun...well right now anyway...the UV index is ridiculous...no thanks...

*swallows Vitamin-D capsule*

Vitamin D levels are not really a matter of sun exposure in my opinion, as commonly believed. There are several studies showing controversy about sunshine and vitamin D where levels were found lowest in the brightest months. Then there are rickets epidemics in places like Bangladesh where children get plenty of sun and never use sunblock.

Vitamin D level is about gut health as that's where it needs to be absorbed. Microbes are responsible for degradation of vitamin D and also the precursors of D. Here's my exploration of the subject:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....246428715601.298680.518250601&type=3&theater

I'm not saying sunshine isn't important for vitamin D synthesis, but it's not the reason for pandemic deficiency. All the gut diseases include vitamin D deficiency.

Last edited:
In my opinion...alphabet soup is the quickest way to get your vitamins...

I take a 5,000 IU D3 supplement with a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement (helps absorption, calcium chanel, heart, bones as explained by my pcp) and a Multi - vitamin daily. My D3 levels stay in the 60s to 70s and Calcium levels remain normal. The second supplement also helps me keep Potassium levels even and normal, which is critical for me (ER visit for Angina in 2003).

Keeping proper levels of Calcium is crucial for efficacy of many AEDs. Additionally, Sodium is critical for the efficacy of many AEDs. Low levels of either may/will increase the likelihood of seizures (as explained by my neuro and pcp). If you take meds for high blood pressure, as I do, be aware that diuretics will dramatically increase Sodium loss through the kidneys/urine. While low/no salt diets are great, they can hamper sz control if the levels get too low (just like low Calcium levels). I generally don't worry about salt content in foods unless it ruins the taste. I don't add any salt unless it is in a low sodium/no msg seasoning used for cooking and sparingly at that. My levels remain normal. If your neuro hasn't discussed this with you, and not checking the levels, he/she is doing you a disservice. Look at the information about your AEDs. It will tell you if it works through the Calcium or Sodium chanel. Then go talk with your neuro or pcp about checking your levels and if/what supplements you should take! (I always butt heads with the Cardiologist over Sodium intake. I would rather take a little more BP medication rather than risk low sodium levels and progress on sz control!)

Oh, I also eat a lot of raw Carrots as well as raw or slightly cooked Broccoli and Calaflower on a regular basis.

Vitamin D info:
www. vitamindcouncil .com

Medication info:
www. rxlist .com
www. nlm. nih .gov /medlineplus /druginfo /meds

Stay strong and don't give up!

Last edited:
I've had my vitamin d level checked by my endocrinologist (I also have diabetes) and it was low, also. But some of the OTC vitamins only increase my glucose levels, so I have to be very careful in which type of vitamins I take.

Some of the AEDs can cause bone loss due to low vitamin D and calcium. Plus, Trileptal (Oxycarbazepine)is a drug that can cause low sodium. I had to be taken off that drug because of the hyponatremia (low sodium level).

Is it true that some seizure medicines can cause bone loss?

Bone loss from certain seizure medicines may be more common than in people not taking these medicines. We used to think this happened only to older women who also were going through hormonal changes. However more recent research shows that it can happen in men and women at any age. It’s more likely to happen if people have been taking certain medicines for a long time. However bone loss has also been seen in teenagers taking certain seizure medicines.

If you take carbamazepine (Tegretol, Tegretol XR, Carbatrol), phenobarbital, phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek), oxcarbazepine (Trileptal), primidone (Mysoline), topiramate (Topamax), or valproate (Depakote):

~Talk to your doctor about having a test of your bone health (called a bone density test)
~Ask about medicines to prevent bone loss, such as calcium and vitamin D supplements.
~If you have thinning of the bones already, you may need a different medicine to strengthen your bones and prevent further problems.
~Review your diet with a nutritionist. It’s important to eat a well-balanced diet that includes calcium and vitamin D.
~Get regular exercise. Talk to your doctor or nurse about what kinds of exercise are best and what type of safety precautions you may need.
~If you are taking one of the newer seizure medicines, ask your doctor how it may affect your bone health. We learn more about these long term problems over time.

And here is a good place to check out the AEDs and side effects:
http://www.epilepsy.com/node/2002861

Right now my skin is nicely tanned, friends call me redskin. Oh wait, we can't use redskin any more. Do'h I love to tan, feels good, nice and warm.

Key to a good tan is to only use water on it, not any man made chemicals, especially soap. I don't even use suntan lotion. After showering just pat your skin down, don't rub it. Otherwise you will get skin that will peel and that is not good. Also, if you have ghost skin, you need to gradually build up the tan. If you get fried, you been in the sun too long. Need to do it gradually. I sunbath on the weekends and let the skin heal throughout the working week.

Also I drink milk, so that has Vit. D and Calcium.

:piano: :pop:

Yeah I've started drinking milk again also...shame on me...but hey I love it...I don't notice much of a difference when drinking "lactose free" milk...I still get gassy/bubbly...but it's not that bad...not enough to just quit drinking milk totally anyway...

I changed my mind about the cinnamon heaven...I just had some peanut butter instead

Last edited:
I've been tested twice a year for the last 4 years and my doctor said it is consistently one the lowest level he sees (usually in the 5-6 range) and I'm on a dose of 50,000 units of D2 weekly. I also have Celiac so I have absorption issues with vitamins. Usually have at least 2 complex partials a week and some simple partials in between. So far they are intractable after 3 meds :( No one has said there is a connection but now I am curious...

Now i am all worried about bone loss and D levels. I have not had blood work done for years. but when i did the doc said, its all normal. But what does he know? he is old-school and older himself. And the pharmacist only believes what the big-pharma studies they choose to publish say. My multi is food based and very full of needed vitamins. I did hear that 20 years ago when i had meningitis i had a lot of bone loss. And it is in your late 20's that your body stops absorbing D for bone strength. So it is best to load up before then. I believe that lemictal and keppra deplete zinc and that has notable side effects for me. I take an ionic zinc liquid that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom