Low Vitamin D Levels

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I've been tested twice a year for the last 4 years and my doctor said it is consistently one the lowest level he sees (usually in the 5-6 range) and I'm on a dose of 50,000 units of D2 weekly. I also have Celiac so I have absorption issues with vitamins. Usually have at least 2 complex partials a week and some simple partials in between. So far they are intractable after 3 meds :( No one has said there is a connection but now I am curious...

Are you aware seizure is a symptom of Celiac disease? What have you been doing in attempt to cure Celiac disease? There's a lot you might consider doing other than the gluten-free diet which is often high carb and sugar and may actually feed the problem.

Janus-did you get a copy of your blood test? Your doc may not have tested for D. Also if it is 30 ng he considers that normal. The more I read about D the more I understand. It also helps with asthma which I have but it takes time. The magic pill doesn't exist but time with the right nutrition (food and supplements) can help (for some). Does your multi have K2? How much D3? The K2 is important for the calcium to be directed to the bones where its needed. The right levels are hard to get from food. I am on keppra and lamictal but my nutritionist (orthomolecular doctor) hasn't added zinc yet except for traces in the multi I take.

There's a book out by Kate Rheaume-Bleue "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life" and many websites on this.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/dr-cannell-on-vitamin-k2/

Also since your brain injury caused your issues there are probably other concerns where as with me it was probably a genetic issue.

Hey Keith: Funny, I'm aware that Celiac and seizures go together, but I keep having to tell my doctors this!!!! I am on a very strict gluten-free diet (no cross-contamination, no eating out), a mostly plant-based diet with moderate meat, and no sugar (welllll...ok I cheat here and there on this one). I do love quinoa and rice and not a lot of dairy. Pretty boring, it works. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago (although it should have been 20 year ago :() and the long term effects have left with me a lot of permanent damage, including, absorption (vitamin D) issues and I believe, the seizures. If you have any info to share, please do! Thanks for posting!

Deb

Keith! I'm thinking you started the Gut Brain connection Threat I just started reading--fascinating! My the bulk of my seizures happen in the early morning hours. I'll read on. Nice!
Deb

I now take an Omega-3/Vitamin-D combo...it comes in a squeeze packet and supposedly absorbs better into your system than capsules...it's tropical orange flavor but comes in other flavors...it actually tastes pretty good so I look forward to taking it...it's naturally sweetened btw...no artificial crap

I don't get tested regularly; it wasn't until I broke my hip in Jan 2013 that they thought oh shit, a 25 year old is not supposed to break his hip. So they checked Calcium and Vit D (but not until a year later), and I was low on both. Dr gave me something called Calceos (?), which was only Calcium and Vit D but it made me have A LOT of seizures so I stopped taking it.

Yes, I have a vitamin D deficiency as well. Funny thing is that my neurologist never bothered to check me for it. My regular doctor figured it out after some blood work. Mine was down to 10 and that was back in January, my cholesterol was through the roof on top of it. I did make some dietary changes since then and have been trying to get exercise when I can. My regular doctor prescribed 50,000 iu of vitamin D to take once weekly, I've been taking it since January. I just had blood work done a couple weeks ago and so far my cholesterol has gone way down from where it was, almost right where it needs to be, My blood pressure was also a little high for a while too, but that also seems to have gone back to normal. This all very well could have been from having such low levels of vitamin D. I'm still waiting for my doctor to let me know where my current vitamin D levels are. My doctor suspects that the cholesterol levels were also related to the vitamin D deficiency so hopefully those results come back normal this time. Seems as though all it takes is for one thing to go wrong and then everything just spirals out of control from there.

Without Vitamin-D you are Vitamin-Deficient... I guess that could be like "You're not fully clean unless your Zest-fully-clean"

Last edited:
I have that same problem wit the medicine I take and my doctor told me to take some vitamin d 2000s. So I have to take them everyday.

Back
Top Bottom